Still having ares problems

Closed
spook - Nov 12, 2008 at 04:56 PM
 razer - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:59 PM
Hello,

Ok. I have Vista and been having the same problems you all have by the looks of it. I tried Geobats solution and it didnt work. I tried Adnenes solution and that didnt work either. I could not open Ares at all. I have Ares Ultra 4.0.0.0 on disc and have been using that until my problems started. The only thing that I have noticed is that once I start downloading a file, either the counter takes a while and then starts or it starts and pauses for quite a few seconds then starts again. It still says connecting. Now, I dont know much about computers so can anyone please help me and please..go into great detail and explain each action so I can get back up and running. I am having withdrawl symptoms here. Thanks

13 responses

Spook433 Posts 17 Registration date Tuesday November 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2008 3
Nov 13, 2008 at 06:09 PM
Thank you rubrami281 for your assistance....

OK, this is what I did and this is what happened.

I did the System Restore no problems (which is good to know thanks), I then downloaded Mozilla Browser (I dont know why but I did) no problems so far. I then downloaded a new Ares and it downloaded OK. All Ok to this point.

However I still have the same problems. Now this is what I have observed. For example I enter an Audio Artist Name. Hit search, (like I always have done). the counter at the bottom stays at 00 for a few seconds then shows either 1193:02:-40 or 1193:02:-42 then after a few seconds the counter jumps ahead and freezes again then the counter again jumps ahead and freezes some more. Next to this is says "Searching for (the artists name) This goes on for about 30 minutes with nothing happening and "connecting" still at the top of the screen.

Do you know what these numbers mean and is this the cause of my problem???
I am thinking there is more problems here than I know what to do with. Can you give me any further advice??

Thanks

Spook
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Nov 12, 2008 at 09:19 PM
Start by creating a System Restore point:

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.‍ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

When u r done, Download and install the Mozilla Browser, then browse the link below and download and install Ares. U should b back in business........................Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.apphit.com/software_search/?q=ares
Spook433 Posts 17 Registration date Tuesday November 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2008 3
Nov 15, 2008 at 07:38 AM
Well I left Ares on for over an hour and all hashing was completed along time ago (that only took a couple of minutes). I am still not getting anything on search. Still says connecting, the counter still pauses. When I click on the chat tab, all it says is "retrieving list, please wait... That is all it says. Also no one is uploading any of my tracks. Usually I get some upload of some sort. I click on a file (song) in my library and it plays back on my pc no problems.

What next? Any Ideas??
Nov 15, 2008 at 05:33 PM
Sorry I submitted msg before I finished.

I also noticed that the top left button says home and that brings up the ad for downloading Jeaks Toolbar. Under the new version of Ares that button is replaced with Internet. And the Aresgalaxy website that it is trying to connect to does not connect.
Also As you suggested I went to control panel and filesharing to hash my files and I hit auto scan. This found the same directories as the new version but it would not hash any. I went to library and no files were being copied to the library. However I mentioned earlier that when my ares was working before, my library did not hash any files either. They just stored the files I downloaded from Ares.

Sorry again for the sequence of the last few messages. I will delete this version of ares again as its not working and reload your suggested version and I will wait to hear for further suggestions on how to fix this problem.

thanks again

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Nov 15, 2008 at 11:18 PM
At least is good 2 know that u chose the alternative and went with the limewire. A little word of advise when using any P2P sharing software. Before u open any file that you've downloaded, give it a quick scan with your Anti-Virus. Also, here a few recommendations 2 consider: Mozilla Browser (4 it's superior security), AVGFree Anti-Virus (It's free and protects u well), and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (What most Anti-Virus software can't detect, Malwarebytes will). Also, I forgot 2 mention in my last blog, Did u ever try going 2 your Firewall settings, click on Exceptions tab, and select the programs (Ares) u don't wish 2 block. Maybe this was the cause of Ares not working 4 u. Anyway...............Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 16, 2008 at 03:01 PM
Thanks for the update. FYI My Ares has not been working for a while. Since then my Nortons Internet Security did expire, however I did purchase and download Kaspersky Internet Security. Now you mentioned it, I did disable my Windows Firewall and it is still off.l but my Kaspersky Firewall is still on.
There was one song I did try and download yesterday and Kaspersky notified me of a problem with that track. I then stopped downloading and I deleted that track no problems.

Thanks again and keep in touch, hopefully we can still sort out this problem. I think the only reason I like Ares is that I am used to it. However, I am open to any suggestions for the best free P2P. What P2P do you think is the best one all around. You have helped me so far, and I trust your opinion.

Thanks
change ur port 2 =23456
Nov 16, 2008 at 03:06 PM
Limewire Pro
Nov 16, 2008 at 03:15 PM
OK thanks...
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104 > Spook433 Posts 17 Registration date Tuesday November 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2008
Nov 16, 2008 at 08:09 PM
Rubrami again............Here's what I found out about Ares:

Recent connection problems solved
The CNodes that all versions of Ares use for the initial connection to the network have been overloaded lately and users have had problems making the initial connection to the network. We have developed an advanced technique to automatically generate an updated list of cnodes to use for the initial connection. If you are having a problem connecting and you downloaded Ares Vista before July 6, 2008 (or have another brand of Ares) download the latest version of Ares Vista now.

http://aresvista.com/

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
Spook433 Posts 17 Registration date Tuesday November 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2008 3 > rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009
Nov 17, 2008 at 08:32 AM
WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!

That did it....It is up and running... Thank you, for all your assistance. Also I want to thank you for your suggestions with trying another P2P. I am quite impressed with LimeWire, so now I will have both available for use.

Thanks again, and you take care...
spook433 > rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009
Nov 17, 2008 at 09:01 AM
Hold on, Ares Vista is now free for search but If I want to download I have to purchase Ares. I clicked on search and no problems, it displayed the search results. When I tried to download, Ares wants me to pay.

I think I will just stay with LimeWire. I dont use it enough to purchase it.

Anyway thanks again for your assist and take care.
Nov 16, 2008 at 03:22 PM
Sure..........Anytime..................Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well,

It's January 4, 2009, and I'm using the newest version of Ares, 2.2.1 and it's not connecting at all. I only have one file in my sharing folder to hash, so that can't be it. I can't connect on Windows XP Pro and Kaspersky AV on.

I'm frustrated as hell!

fire
I'm trying to uninstall ares because it won't download any music but everytime i try to uninstall it it starts uninstalling for 3 seconds then stops dead in its tracks and says its still uninstalling but its not doing anyhing someone help :(
GC0M00 > kabey
Jan 6, 2009 at 09:15 AM
You guys should just try other p2p programs like Limewire, Frostwire or Free MP3 downloads
rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104 > kabey
Jan 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM
download Zsoft uninstall, then try uninstalling:

https://download.cnet.com/ZSoft-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10409090.html
Change the port setting in ares to something like 19154 wait some time.
heres what you do click the ares program then on the ares pogram click control panell then change ur port 2 *23456*
Nov 13, 2008 at 07:09 PM
OK...............Did u uninstall the previous version of Ares that u had on your PC? And if u did, it might b that the program has been corrupted so no matter how many times u install Ares, it'll still b corrupted bcause certain files still remain in your registry. So, let's try again 2 uninstall Ares from the Add and Remove Programs. Then go 2 Start, my Computer, Click on Local Disk (C:), Open Program Files and look 4 anything that describes Ares or has Ares in the name......Delete the Folder, close all windows. Now, we'll go 2 Start, click on Run, type in the box Regedit hit enter. This should open up your Registry Editor. OK, now double click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER, double click on Software, look 4 any folder that has Ares in the name and Delete it. Do the same 4 HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG. Restart your PC. Now try installing Ares again. These steps should do the trick. If it doesn't work 4 u let me know and we'll try something else........................Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 14, 2008 at 03:40 PM
Ok Here is the update..

I followed your instructions. I removed Ares from my laptop. I typed in Regidit and I followed the Registry Editor. I looked in HKEY_CURRENT_USER /MACHINE and CONFIG. and looked in the Software Folders. I found Ares and deleted any folder named Ares. I then downloaded Ares from the site you recommended and it downloaded no problems. So that problem is fixed. However, I am getting the same fault. I enter an Artists name, click Search and the counter stays at 00 for a few seconds and says searching for (artist name) then pauses and 1193:02:-39 came up. Then paused and counter started and stopped. I shut it down and tried again, this time the counter started from 00 and got up to 38 before it stopped counting then jumped to 41, paused jumped to 56, paused but then jumped to 1.26 and counted to 1.41 then paused again. All the time <connecting> is shown on the top of the window. Still no results at all.

Well we got Ares on my computer, any ideas what we can do now??
Nov 14, 2008 at 10:24 PM
OK, here's some info I came across that might b helpful 2 u. Read below:

!--IMPORTANT--PRE-OPERATION--IMPORTANT--!

WHEN YOU FIRST START ARES, IT WILL SEARCH FOR ALL THE FILES ON YOUR COMPUTER (LIKE SONG FILES) THAT CAN BE SHARED. WHILE DOING THIS, IT WILL GO THROUGH A PROCESS CALLED "HASHING". IN THIS PROCESS, ARES GIVES EACH FILE A UNIQUE LETTER AND NUMBER COMBINATION(AN ID) SO IT CAN BE FOUND NO MATTER WHAT THE FILE IS NAMED--YOU MUST ALLOW ARES TO HASH ALL YOUR FILES FIRST IN ORDER TO SHARE FILES AND HAVE FILES VISIBLE IN YOUR LIBRARY. MEANING, YOU MUST LEAVE ARES ALONE UNTIL IT HASHES ALL YOU FILES. THE TIME IT WILL TAKE TO DO THIS DEPENDS ON THE SPEED OF YOUR COMPUTER AND THE NUMBER OF FILES BEING SHARED. TO SPEED UP THIS PROCESS, CLICK ON THE 'LIBRARY' BUTTON. THERE, IT SHOULD SHOW YOU WHAT FILE IS BEING PROCESSED AND HAVE A METER SHOWING HOW MUCH 'PRIORITY' THE HASHING HAS. DRAG THE MARKER ON THIS METER ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT TO HAVE THE MAXIMUM SPEED FOR FILE HASHING. WHEN ARES IS DONE, YOU CAN THEN PLACE THE MARKER BACK ON THE NORMAL SETTING. AGAIN, YOU MUST ALLOW ARES TO COMPLETE FILE HASHING OR YOU WILL EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTIES IN THE WAY ARES OPERATES. THANK YOU.
Nov 14, 2008 at 10:59 PM
OK Here is some info that I have noticed.

1. when I call up ares, and the screen appears, What used to appear in the "Internet" button was an ad for a tool bar (i forget which one). But now all I get is the following message

" this program cannot connect to the internet"

Most likely causes:

You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

The web page that is trying to connect to is... https://www.aresgalaxy.org

2. I also followed the string and noticed that "My Torrents" did not load like on my version of Ares. My current string is as follows...

C:\Users\(my user name)\AppData\Local\Ares\My Shared Folder

My original Ares string was different it was as follows....

C:\Users\(my user name)\AppData\Local\Ares\My Shared Folder\My Torrents

(is this important??)

Also, when my original Ares used to worlk, all the songs that I downloaded would go into the My Shared Folder with the folder "My Torrents" at the top of the file ( i hope that made sense)

3. I did as you suggested and I clicked on the library button, there are no files "Hashing" No files are being processed. I have music files in my music folder that I transfered myself. but nothing hashing. Also, on my disc version of Ares 4.0.0.0 Ares never searched through the files on my drive. The only files that were ever in my library were the ones that I got thru Ares, that I downloaded. Those files went to my shared folder as explained in paragraph 2. So basically I would search for a song, after the list would appear I would double click the song I wanted and it would download. Once it was downloaded and turned green I would clear idle and it would go to my "recently downloads" folder in my library. Then after a while It would just go to my Audio Folder in my library. They were the only songs that were ever in my library, again, Ares has never accessed / hashed anything else on my computer.

4. If it would help I can send you my e-mail address, you can e-mail back and if you want i can give you my cell nr and i can follow any other instruction by cell if that would help??

thanks for your help with this matter, I hope I am not taking up too much of your time...

Spook
Nov 14, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Ok I went to Control Panel then Filesharing. I did and autoscan and that started the hashing you were talking about. No probs I have the songs that were in my music folder now in the library. I will leave Ares on for a while and see if anything happens. Thanks again..
Nov 14, 2008 at 11:44 PM
Another thing I noticed is that under control panel..

Under BitTorrent - downloads are saved into C:\Users\Leo\AppData\Local\Ares\My Shared Folder

but under Transfer - downloads are saved into C:\Users\Leo\Desktop

Is this important - should they be the same??

thanks
Nov 15, 2008 at 05:21 PM
I tried an experiment.

1. In an earlier post I listed the string that my files are saved to. These strings are different and I was not sure if they were the same as my original Ares version. So I deleted and removed all files relating to Ares. I then downloaded my original version from disc. Well this is what I have noticed different -

Under my version of Ares Ultra - controll panel - transfer files were saved to

C:\Users\Leo\AppData\Local\Ares Ultra\My Shared Folder

Under the new version of Ares - control panel - transfer files are saved to

C:\Users\Leo\Desktop

Under my version of Ares Ultra - control panel - BitTorrent my files were saved to

C:\Users\Leo\AppData\Local\Ares Ultra\My Shared Folder\My Torrents

Under new version of Ares - control panel - BitTorrent files are saved to

C:\Users\Leo\AppData\Local\Ares\My Shared Folder

2. The other difference is in the control panel button of Ares. Under my version of Ares Ultra the first button at the top left hand corner says "home" and this brings up the Jeaks Toolbar Website no problems.
Nov 15, 2008 at 05:25 PM
Sorry I
Nov 15, 2008 at 08:54 PM
I was looking in 2 some info about compatibility issues with Vista and Ares and they didn't sound good. I'm gonna continue 2 look 4 a solution 2 your problem as it'll also benefit me in the long run. In the meantime, y don't u try downloading a different p2p sharing program. There r a few u can download 4 free,i.e.; Frostwire, Limewire, etc. U can go 2 either 1 of the following links 4 a free download:

https://download.cnet.com/s/software/?platform=windows&sort=most-popular

https://apphit.com/

https://filehippo.com/
Nov 15, 2008 at 09:19 PM
OK thanks I will. I have gone back did a full factory restore and back to where I was. Thanks for your help, I hope my messages were not too confusing. I will try another P2P and see how that goes. I will also monitor this forum for any further assist from you.

Thanks
Nov 15, 2008 at 10:28 PM
OK I downloaded LimeWire and that works no probs. LimeWire seems pretty good so I will use it and like you said, lets see what we can do about Ares.

Thanks again..