NT backup restore file access denied

Closed
jsiebert Posts 1 Registration date Saturday June 5, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 6, 2010 - Jun 6, 2010 at 06:31 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Jun 6, 2010 at 06:34 AM
I had an excel workbook that was password protected. I backup my c drive and the system state to an external hard drive using the xp professional os. Then my computer got stolen. I restored many of the files from the hard drive. However, I had trouble with the password protected workbook.

I tried to restore the file with the same program (the windows NT backup program) with 2 choices. With the restore program you can restore with security. When I do this the workbook only restores with 64 bits and it does not show up on the computer. When I restore it without security then the file does show up but when I try to open it I get ACCESS DENIED.

I've change permision on the file but that does not help.
Related:

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jun 6, 2010 at 06:34 AM
If the file itself was password protected ( the excel password protect), not by some external program, then the issue has to be with the file permissions. If you had it scrambled via some external program, what did you use.