Black screen after log-in, vista, cursor etc

Closed
joelinit - Jun 21, 2010 at 07:42 AM
kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 - Jun 22, 2010 at 09:37 AM
Hello all,

I've researched this as much as possible before posting but can't seem to find the right answer! After logging in, I'm presented with the Vista welcome screen, before the black screen of death descends onto my computer! I can see the cursor and can boot up in safe mode, from which I am about to copy my entire C and E drives to an external harddrive, in the expectation that a resolution will probably result in a wipe of both of these?!

Please advise on anything you recommend I do in safe mode or otherwise that might help!

Thanks in advance!!

Related:

2 responses

kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 20
Jun 22, 2010 at 09:37 AM
To fix it use remote desktop to log into the comptuer and then go to device manager and uninstall the video device driver, then I reboot. System come up in VGA mode, login in reinstall the driver.
http://www.iyogi.ca/microsoft-windows-vista-support.html
In fact I've now resolved the issue!!! As I could start in safe mode I went into msconfig (through start menu), clicked selective startup and unchecked "load startup items", then in services I checked "hide all microsoft services". Then I unchecked half of the remainder and restarted my computer. If the black screen still happened, I knew one of these checked services was the problem, if the black screen wasn't there I knew it was one of the unchecked services.

So then I just kept on halving the number of services I had checked and restarting, until I found the culprit that was causing the problem. For me it was AVG antivirus.

Hope this is remotely understandable and useful for anyone else in the same predicament!