Black screen at start up

Closed
Patrick - Jun 24, 2010 at 05:46 PM
 Phoenix - Jun 24, 2010 at 06:00 PM
Hello,

I have an inspiron 530 with windows xp. About a week ago i woke up the next day to find my computer froze up with my screen saying it was 7:30 pm when it was 2 the next day. So i restarted my computer by pressing and holding my power button. And when i started it back up i t starts like its going to load then it goes to a black screen with the cursor showing where i wold usually click on my login name. I can move the cursor around but the screen stays black. I can shut it down and restart it in safe mode. I have back dated my computer and also ran every virus scan i have. And nothing. I have ran superantispyware, malware, and my ccleaner. noting works. Any ideas?
Related:

1 response

Hi Patrick,
If the system is booting in safe mode then it is the problem with the OS. So you can do clean installtion of the OS. But if you cannot see the your desktop screen(home screen) in safe mode also then run the 32 bit dell diagnostic from the drivers and utilities cd or resource cd whichever u have. To run the diag follow the steps below:
Put the cd in the cd drive ---> Restart ur system ---> keep tapping on F12 when the dell screen appears ---> choose the CD/dvd option to boot from cd ---> Then choose 1 to start 32 bit diag ---> Choose test system then choose custom test --> On the right hand part of the screen u have Quick test only.Chck that box --> and double click on the hard drive which is the last option on the lefthand side of the screen...If you get any error code call customer care with the error code.. They should replace the HDD for you...