No sound card is recognised in my laptop

Closed
Julie D - Jul 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM
 Michelle - Dec 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM
Hello, I'm using an old NEC Versa FM350/ M350 running Windows 7 Professional. I recently went from Win XP SP 3 straight to Win7, everything seemed fine, I had a few updates to install and stuff. But down on the task bar the sound icon has a red x by it and says "No Audio Output Device Is Installed." I've tried seemingly everything to try and get the sound back but to no avail :( Every audio codec driver I've tried to install has failed, even in compatibility mode. Windows Update has been no help, it tries to install Conexant AC-Link Audio but never can find the file. There's no indication that it has even recognised that I have a sound chip and no audio comes out of headphones either. I've tried the BIOS (I did get a beep from that woo). I've tried disabling, restarting, enabling and nothings worked.
The sound worked fine in WinXP and I'm LOVING win 7, save for this audio cuffuffle.

If all else fails I'm wondering if buying an external USB sound card would help.

Any help at all would be appreciated :) And Thank You in advance for any responce :)

Related:

3 responses

toubib32 Posts 91 Registration date Tuesday June 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 17, 2010 4
Jul 11, 2010 at 02:45 PM
Hello Julie D,
Look in device manager if sound devices are working properly, or if there is a red "?"
Right click on the audio driver and open properties and look if there is an error code.
If all is fine so right click on the driver and uninstall it, then restart your computer. if windows asks you to install a driver click "OK"
If it does not install again the driver

To open Device Manager Enter "Device Manager" in the search case in the start menu
tell me if it is working or not so I could update
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Chinese Proverb
Hi toubib32
I opened up Device Manager, the audio device "Multimedia Audio Controller" has a yellow ! next to it, I clicked Properties and this error message is in the Device Status box
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

The system cannot find the file specified.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

I tried the Update and it tried to download and install Conexant AC-Link Audio again but again could not locate the file online or stored in the laptop. When I uninstalled, restarted and tried an install I end up with the same problem :(

Thank You for responding btw :)
i am using a nec laptop p4, i noticed that when ever i poewr on,it normally bring high sound befor it power on, an d also some of the key pad is not functioning ,what wil possible the proble.please if any useful information send it to my mail address, ice_v55@yahoo.com. thanks
toubib32 Posts 91 Registration date Tuesday June 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 17, 2010 4
Jul 12, 2010 at 01:18 PM
Please try the auto detection of this French website. https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=29
For translation use https://translate.google.com/

And tell me the full name of your motherboard and audio drivers
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Chinese Proverb
The French website says my motherboard is a "NEC Computers International VC2 CE3D"
The chip in my laptop is the "Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC97 Audio Controller", it tells me that I have no drivers installed and that an available driver is the RealTek AC97 Driver.
Jul 12, 2010 at 01:40 PM
So install the Realtek device. and it will works :)
Installed it, restarted and still no sound. :(
The driver has an error code 10 and when I started up after installation I was prompted to "Run a Legacy CPL elevation".
I don't know if that means anything, and I'm starting to think my sound chip is screwed up.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 12, 2010 at 03:38 PM
Hi Julie,

error Code 10 is the indication of having a bad, missing, or incompatible driver.
Try to update the driver
or
Click on the below link and download that file
https://filehippo.com/
Extract it --> double-click on CPUZ ---> then click on "Mainboard" tab and let me know the

Manufacturer , Model with rev number, Chipset & Southbridge.
Jul 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM
Please uninstall the device and install it again with administrator rights ( for that right click and run as administrator) restart computer, then update it be sure your sound volume is not mute. If that does not work uninstall it and try the autodetection of this site https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu
Jul 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM
Good morning Julie and Jack,
Well this is the situation: NEC Versa FM350/ M350 is an old computer and Conexant AC-Link Audio seems to be not compatible with windows 7. You would know that if you did run the windows 7 upgrade advisor before install seven...
So I ask you Julie to be patient until I find a solution :)
"Please uninstall the Realtek device and install it again with administrator rights ( for that right click and run as administrator) restart computer, then update it be sure your sound volume is not mute. If that does not work uninstall it and try the autodetection of this site https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu "
Tell me if it works so that we proceed with the next step :)
Chinese Proverb
Please forgive how long its taken me to reply I had to visit some relatives 0_0
Uninstalled the device, ran as admin but same results, an error during install.
The Intel auto detection of my audio driver says that no Intel Product is detected, there is no current driver installed and "This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates."

Do you think buying an external sound card would help me?

Thank you for taking time to help me out I really appreciate it :)
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 14, 2010 at 02:03 PM
Hello Julie D,
Click on the below link and download that file named cpu-z
http://www.filehippo.com/download_cpuz/
(Note: You can find the download option at the right side)
Extract it --> double-click on CPUZ ---> then click on "Mainboard" tab and let me know the

Manufacturer , Model with rev number, Chipset & Southbridge.
Hello Jack,
Manufacturer - NEC Computers International
Model - VC2
Rev no. - B1
Chipset - Intel i915GMS/i90GML
Southbridge - Intel 82801FBM (ICH6-M)
Jul 14, 2010 at 03:30 PM
Hello Jack,
No need for CPUZ to know the specifications of the old NEC Versa FM350/ M350 :)
Jul 14, 2010 at 04:07 PM
hi toubib,
Well I just want to know the southbridge chipset and there is nothing wrong in using it :)