Files on flash drive changed to shortcuts

Solved/Closed
Amber - Updated on Jun 8, 2017 at 04:42 AM
 soumyanil - Apr 12, 2019 at 10:19 AM
Hello,

I caught a virus on my flash drive at work and it appears to have changed all my file names to short cuts. I believe I've cleaned the virus but how do I get my files back so that I can view them?

Related:

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Updated on Nov 26, 2018 at 03:18 PM
Hello,

If you did not format your flash drive, then check whether the files are not in

hidden mode.

Click on "Start" / Run / type
cmd
and click on OK.

Here I assume your pendrive as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

Note : Replace the letter g with your flash drive letter.
jack..i love u!...i've been worried all day thinking i've lost all my data. but if eject the pen drive, then insert it back to the pc, the same things happened again ; all the folders changed to shortcut. so, I think it means that my pc is already infected..so how do I delete the bad guy for good?... thanks jack..
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 16, 2010 at 05:03 AM
Hi,
Update your antivirus and scan your PC. Then download Malware's Anti-Malware from the below link
https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/
Update it ---> Perform "Full Scan"
Note : Default select option is "Quick Scan".
Hello, I'm not trying to interfere with your conversation, but I have the same problem. I did do a full scan on the drive with Superantispyware on the external drive and it deleted all the shortcuts that were on the external drive (assuming that it thought the shortcuts were viruses). I do have another external drive that is infected and was wondering if there is any other way to fix it. I usually have no problem fixing these viruses but this one has been a headache from hell. Thanks for any help or advice. JB
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172 > jblethal
Jul 16, 2010 at 05:37 PM
Hello jblethal
Your courtesy is admirable, I wish more users were like you.
Best regards
didnt work for me :( still see all the weird symbols instead of english names of flash drive and files
In addition to steps suggested by jack4rall you need to del the files that get listed after

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* 

del g:\ [file name]

sometimes you get a message " Process completed , file sharig violation" while trying to delete a file.

In that case you can install a software called "Who lock me?" (search in the google) and install the same.

You can kill the process and delete the file. Make sure to create a folder in the file name you have deleted so that the virus may not be able to creep into the drive once again.
still aim not access the folders