Problem Installing XP on a dual Boot Win 7 PC

Closed
Mike - Jul 24, 2010 at 07:58 AM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 15, 2010 at 03:48 AM
Hi,

I have just purchased a new pc which came with Windows 7. Problem is none of my old business software will run in win 7 and some of it is not manufactured any more (so no new versions available). In order to overcome this I though I would get a new hard drive and install xp on this in the machine. In theory then I can choose the operating system I wish to use on boot up; XP for the old software and win 7 for new. Before you ask why I did not just opt for the virtual machine upgrade in win 7 to xp, the reason is I have some hardware that will only work with XP not XP through Win 7!

When trying to install Win XP on the second hard drive I go through the initial blue screens and get to the bit when it is loading windows set up. This is when the action stops and I get an error saying there is either and error with my hard drive or a virus. I have checked the new drive via the installed Windows 7 and there appears to be no problems, the drive has no virus or errors..... Help! Has anyone any ideas what is going on, the hard drive is a new SATA drive (160gb) the windows software is OEM version of XP (the only version I can buy) and I have not got a clue what to try next.

Many thanks,,

Mike
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 15, 2010 at 03:48 AM
Dear Mike,

Please consider completing the installation through the below instructions.

https://ccm.net/faq/7272-run-windows-xp-in-windows-7

Thank you.