Windows XP Pro - Problems

Closed
katto01 Posts 1 Registration date Friday December 5, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 7, 2008 - Dec 7, 2008 at 05:46 PM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 8, 2008 at 03:39 AM
Hello,

I have a few windows files damaged/wrongly registered or God know why, make other programs to crush.

In the past, in cases like this I would backup, reformat the HD and reinstall everything (a 2-3 days effort).

I still haven;t seen any windows repair utility which can REALLY fix these kind of problems. I tried THe tune=up utilities and the Registrybuster without much success.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Does "Windows repair" is any good (one option in the Windows installation process) - never used it
2. Does it make ANY sense to install a second Windows on a different directory? After all, I would still have to reinstall and customize everything.
3. Can I somehow install a new Windows and uninstall the original one
4. What WOULD WORK and save me the reinstall the whole system i.e, applications and customizations

Thank you

Katto01
Related:

2 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 7, 2008 at 10:10 PM
Well firstly maybe we should try to fix this at the SOURCE of the problem rather than at the result of it.

Computer programs and OS's are made up of files that can be copied, forged, erased, and modified. So what I present to you is that I can help you solve your symptoms as you describe above, or help you solve your problem.

If you want me to solve the problem, send me a private message and we can discuss, since chatting this way is rather inefficient.

If you want to solve your symptom then try using a small portable hard drive (external) for sizes around 20-50gb you're looking at under 60 dollars and it's a permanent fix. You can backup your entire hard drive to it, and restore it after you've re-installed windows and formatted. You can choose to save whatever you feel like. Such as having it sync/backup only certain folders, and permanently having some installer files on it, such as Firefox, WMP, Service pack 2 and 3 setup files, etc to save you time after you've formatted and reinstalled. You can also do a fresh install and make an Image of the drive right after installing your programs and files, and then only worry about keeping track of any files that aren't on that image. Turning your 3 day ordeal into a 30 minute ordeal pre-restoring things not found on your image.

Good luck!
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 03:39 AM
Don't forget Recovery Console on your Windows XP installation CD.

You can rewrite registry and other basic windows components to their normal factory settings, thus repairing it.