Vista Black Screen with Cursor

Closed
Jeremy - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 4, 2010 at 04:58 AM
Hey everyone, I'm hoping you cam help...

Last night I got the "blue screen of death" on my computer, as I have time & time before. So like I've done time & time before, I shut off the computer & turned it back on. Normally it reboots & all is fine and dandy, but this time I got a repair diagnostic thing (that may not be the real name... I was kinda frazzled) which took about an hour to complete. Once this "fix" was done "fixing" what it needed to "fix", the computer rebooted... The Dell logo pops up, then the Windows bar pops up & loads... Then when/where the Login/Welcome screen would be, is just a black screen with a mouse cursor. AHHHH!!! Help!!!!!

I've read similar posts on here, but none seemed just right. even in safe mode, still just the black screen with cursor. Ctrl Alt Delete does nothing... Hitting shift 5x does bring up the sticky keys box, but then what??

Your help is greatly needed & appreciated!!
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 4, 2010 at 04:58 AM
I would suggest you to try the following steps:
Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.
If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

At the black screen press Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Ctrl+shift+Esc keys on the keyboard.
Are you able to see a Vista screen with several options? If so Log-off the user, if you have any other accounts on this computer log them in, are you experiencing the same under those conditions?

On the black screen with a cursor
press CTRL+ALT+DEL again
Select task manager
On the task manager window, click on file >new task.
In the new task box, type in explorer.exe
Click OK