Change slave to master

Closed
kunle - Aug 10, 2010 at 09:01 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Hello,
I need your help on my system. I just bought a new seagate hard disk and i used two IDE cables that has two connectors not three connectors. I shared power between the hard disk and dvd. Each time I power the system it tells me IDE error and I should change the stand alone slave to master. the hard disk ir 80gbytes and the system is pentium 4.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM
The jumpers for hard disk(s) and CD/DVD drives are located on the back of the drive. The jumper is a small metal slider covered by a rectangular piece of plastic. Jumpers for hard drives are designed to slide over and connect metal 2 pins together so that electricity can flow between them.
Before you can use the jumpers, you must know the hard drive setting for each pair of pins.
Pin information may be printed directly on the hard drive label, the hard drive PCA board under the pins, or etched in the surrounding plastic or metal near the pins. Some drives use a default setting when there is no jumper attached. The hard drive settings can be, but are not limited to, the following:

MS, MA, DS, 0, or M = Master or Device 0. The drive is the first drive to be used on the cable/channel (connected to the end connector on an IDE cable).
SL, PK, 1, or S = Slave or Device 1. The drive is the second drive to be used on the cable/channel (connected to the middle connector on an IDE cable).
CS, CSEL = Cable Select. The drive can be automatically set up by a capable system.

If you cannot find the names of the hard drive settings for the pins, you will need to refer to information from the drive manufacturer - either from the drive manufacturer's support Web site or from any available manuals that came with the drive when it was purchased.
The pins are usually located on the back of the drive next to the ribbon cable connector. The drive should have three or four pairs of pins for setting the drive.