Conect ROUTER on ROUTER

Closed
nando2010 - Aug 29, 2010 at 07:59 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 29, 2010 at 08:12 PM
Hello,

I have a linksys wireless router wrt120 connected to the Internet and works well.
But I have to connect through an output cable to another part of the house where the signal is not enough, when I connect another router (linksys wrt160) everything seems to be working well, the laptop receives the signal but when you open the browser does not work.
The signal is strong and the connection takes place as normal, but there is no link to the web.
Does anyone can help me ...........

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 29, 2010 at 08:12 PM
Installing a Two Router Network
Installing a router to work as the second one on a home network requires special configuration. Do the following on the second router to ensure it (and the devices attached) function properly:

1. Connect as local device or bridge - If connecting the second router via Ethernet cable, plug it into one of the LAN ports on the first router. If connecting the second router wirelessly, ensure the second router is set for client mode. Note that some home wireless routers do not support client mode; these must be connected by cable. Check your router documentation for details on its client mode configuration support.

2. Check / change IP address - Most home network routers use a default IP address setting. Often, these default IP addresses will not work in a two router environment. Check the second router's IP address value and reset it if necessary to work within the valid address range of the first router (and to not conflict with any other device on the network).

3. Disable DHCP - To avoid IP address conflicts between all of the devices on the home network, only one of your two routers should assign addresses via DHCP. All mainstream routers provide an option to disable DHCP as part of the router's configuration screens.