Having several problems with a vista laptop.

Closed
Soccerstar21 - Aug 31, 2010 at 09:28 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Hello,
I have a dell insprion M1530 with windows vista. Two days ago everything was running smoothly i awake the next day to see my laptop wont get on the internet. I know though the router is working fine because i have a xbox and can go on xbox live. So i try a system restore but that did nothing at all. I looked up some things but nothing helped me. I have tried using the CMD to help but that failed. I read somewhere to uninstall Mcafee so i did that but to no avial. So i tried to system restore it again but to a further point. This time it wont even let me system restore. I tried o update windows and windows defender but it wouldnt let me do that either. There is no apprent virus that i can see like no ads or anything. The only thing that look odd is that even though i uninstalled Mcafee the symbol for it appears on my tool bar and adds another symbol every minute or so when i scroll over the symbols they disappear.Also i have run Malwarebyte Anti-Malware to check for viruses but to no help. I am really confused and dont know what to do i am begging for some serious help. thank you

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Hello,

Try this 1.

1) Make sure that IP address and DNS server was set to obtain the address

automatically .

Click on Start --> Run --> type ncpa.cpl and click on OK.

Right click on your LAN icon if you are using wired network or right click on your

wireless network icon ---> Select "Properties" ---> scroll down and double

click on "Internet Protocol[TCP/IP]" . Make sure that

"Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

options are selected.

2) Click on Start --> Run --> type cmd and click on OK. Type this command.

ipconfig /all and press enter.

Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers

are having addresses.

3) If you are using wireless connection then check the SSID and the security key.

It should match with the router's SSID and the security key.

4) Right click on the "Internet Explorer" icon---->Click on "Properties"---> Click on

"Connections" tab-->Click on LAN settings button. In that window uncheck all the

options, if you notice any option selected.

5) Temporary disable your Firewall\Antivirus, and then try to open any site.

Good Luck.