Formatting WD 1TB Drive to Windows/FATT

Closed
Howard - Sep 6, 2010 at 05:24 AM
Nabla's Posts 18203 Registration date Tuesday June 3, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen April 28, 2014 - Sep 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Hello, I bought a WD 1TB ext. drive for a MAC BOOK PRO which I'm told is pre formatted to MAC OS. I predominantly use Windows VM on the MAC, which won't recognise the drive! I've been told I can format the drive to FAT. Great. With no technical knowledge at all of MAC, can anybody give me some ideas about how its done? Would love some advice. Cheers.

Related:

1 response

Nabla's Posts 18203 Registration date Tuesday June 3, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen April 28, 2014
Sep 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM
you'll have to use a partition manager such as easus or gparted. You jsute delete the MAC partition and you create the FAT.

If you only use your drive on windows, i recomand you to format it to NTFS (rhis is possible with windows partition manager, but i don't know how to access it with windows 7). NTFS allows using files more than 4GB.

For FAT partition, windows only creates if disk <32GB ... because it's considered by microsoft as legacy file system