External hard drive won't unmount to repair

Closed
Maggie - Sep 6, 2010 at 11:43 PM
 Ray Ray - Oct 29, 2010 at 08:29 PM
Hello,

I've been try to figure this out and I just can't. My WD external hard drive is in desperate need of a repair but whenever I attempt to repair it in Diskwarrior or Disk Utility, my computer tells me the drive can not be repaired because my drive won't unmount. It says I have to close all my applications that I have running for it. Every time I do and it gives me the same message. I've even checked in my Mac's terminal to make sure nothing was using the drive. It still wouldn't allow it to be repaired. Every time I try to eject my hard drive, my computer tells me applications are still using it when there are none. I then have to sleep my computer to pull it out. I sometime don't do that which of course makes my situation worse. I need files on my damaged hard drive. If someone, anyone, could help me, that'd be amazing.

-Maggie

P.S. I also can't access any of the files on the hard drive whenever its plugged in. Just making that clear.

Related:

3 responses

I'm trying to run a disk utility on my lacie drive, won't unmount so I can repair it.
i had the same problem, try erase couple more times before it succed. I think it the system respond slow.
MINE IS DOING THE SAME EXACT THING AS MAGGIE AND NOTHING IS WORKING CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE CORRECT SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM???