Installing Windows Xp

Closed
Aamir - Sep 19, 2010 at 03:26 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 19, 2010 at 03:37 PM
Hello,

I have Compaq Presario CQ40-180TU Laptop with Windows Vista installed in it. I want to replace it with windows xp. The issue I've been facing is, when I insert the bootable CD of windows xp, the "windows startup" begins with loading of files and after finishing this part, it gives an error like "0x0000007B" with the note "restart your system and try again" on blue screen . I tried 4 to 5 other cds but it gives the same error with each cd.

Is there any lock on windows vista by company so that no one can install windows xp on it?

An urgent reply to this would be highly appreciable.

Thanks & best regards,

Aamir
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 19, 2010 at 03:37 PM
Windows XP does not have the drivers for your hard disk controller.

This is Microsoft's fix:

Windows XP requires a miniport driver to communicate with the hard disk controller that is used to start your computer. If Windows XP does not supply a device driver for your controller or if Windows XP is using a corrupted or incompatible driver, you must replace the driver with a valid copy that is compatible with your controller and Windows XP.

During the first phase of the Windows XP installation, Setup displays the following message at the bottom of the screen:
Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.
Press F6 and then follow the instructions to install a mass-storage device driver from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). For additional information about using F6 to load an OEM device driver to support, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314859 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314859/ ) Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP Setup
To determine if your hard disk controller is compatible with Windows XP and to obtain information about drivers that are included on the Windows XP CD-ROM or that are available for download, see the latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). For additional information about the latest Windows XP HCL, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Good Luck