ActiveX Control and Virus

Closed
JohnsonD Posts 5 Registration date Tuesday January 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 6, 2008 - Feb 22, 2008 at 12:13 AM
 Austine - Oct 25, 2009 at 05:56 AM
My wife was on my PC and asked what an ActiveX control was and why my computer was saying it needed to download it... Here's my mistake... I assumed she was on YouTube or something and didn't look as what it said.

Needless to say it was a spyware/adware/trojan/virus thing. My wife doesn't remember what website it was. Anyways... It put a fake virusscan on my computer, and this weird flashing icon that keeps popping up a warning saying I've got an infection.

I can't seem to locate it with Spybot or Trend Micro. But I think they stopped working properly.

I need step by step help cause I suck at this stuff...

Thanks in advance.
Related:

7 responses

Hi I used Malwarebytes, it wipe the virus clean off my pc, good luck hope it works for you too!

https://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10878968
smitfraudfix
bob666 Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday January 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2008 9
Feb 25, 2008 at 02:44 AM
OK, so, I'm not bad in that area, so let's get this fixed.

First try more than one single antispyware. Download these:
Arovax Antispyware
Ad-Aware

Something else that may works is to locate the virus/program in your control panel > add/remove programs and uninstall it. For that, you of course need to have the name of this boring program/virus.

And as a last resort after trying all of this and it still isn't fixed download HiJackThis and post a log.

Good luck! And if your AV didn't stop the download and activation of the virus it either needs to be updated, or you need to switch services, odds are the first one though.

Tell me if that solved your problem.

Best,
My mother did the same thing that his wife did above. I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware, and that removed the desktop background, which was like a biohazard sign on a red background that said my computer was infected. Still popups keep on coming up saying that I have all these viruses on my computer. Then my clock went into military time, and right next to it it says VIRUS ALERT! (For example: 17:50: VIRUS ALERT!) I still cant put the background on the computer, and when I went to HiJackThis, the popup window for the download dident popup. So am I screwed?
Hi there !

The exact same thing happened/is happening to me, even down to removing part of it with superantispyware, but the clock still being on military time with "virus alert" next to it. Also, like your mom, I can't get to my display and get the message "disabled by your system administrator"

Have you folks been able to resolve it and, if so, would you please share it with me or, if not, let me know and, if I am able to resolve it, I will let you know.
Narendra > Brad
Aug 22, 2008 at 08:50 PM
Hi Brad,

I had exactly the same problem, i've managed to get everything set right except one - getting the desktop background to be set all right.
In addition to your steps, I also used Malwarebyte's Anti-MAlware (mlam) this did the trick for me.

Let me know if you need help getting access to taskbar or regedit
Fati > Narendra
Sep 6, 2008 at 12:58 PM
I have all the same smyptoms but no access to run, no admin access, no programs no control panel. It's all gone?? WHat should I do?
nin > Narendra
Oct 1, 2008 at 09:19 PM
The desktop picture is a web page. Open up your display properties and go to the desktop tab. Click on the customize desktop button. Select the Web tab and remove the bad website from the list.

Sometimes if you float your mouse over the top left-hand corner of the screen you will get a drop down menu and can kill your background that way.

Hope this helps. btw download spyware doctor
That horrible virus that covers your background is a popup and I finally "x'd" it down. Keep looking, you'll finally see how to "x" it completely down.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
there are some game that I can't downloads on to compute and some time the actvex pop up should I downlaods this so I don't have to see this or what and now I can't watch dvd on this to I have a aspir 3620 with windows xp with windows vista capable.what should I do
look up all your issues say if you have a virus alert and military time problem on google look up virus alert it worked for me
Your can manually go in and change the date and time back. Go to control panel and select date,time and langauge and regional. Then go to change formate of date and time.
just format ur computer cause thats the only way it will only go away forever