Accidentally deleted documents!!

Solved/Closed
Myrnal - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 12, 2010 at 04:34 AM
Hi. I was browsing thru my Music folder when i suddenly came across my Documents folder. I must have accidentally dragged a copy in there, because there was still a My Documents in a separate folder. So i deleted the copied one in My Music. Then, a couple days later, i realised that all my Word documents and files that were in sub-folders which were apart of My Documents, were all gone. Only the folder My Documents itself was left, and the subfolders empty. I tried looking for it in the recycle bin but there was nothing there. I dont know what to do. I had so many WORD Documents that i needed. HELP PLEASE!

10 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Oct 10, 2010 at 04:51 AM
Dear Myrna,

You see, as soon as you slid the docs into another folder, the shortcuts for those documents become invalid because the path changed.

Exam time already? Out of curiosity, an exam for what?

Now I am afraid that your search is not wide enough.

When you use the search tool, make sure you pick the option: All files and folders.

Again type exactly *.doc and click okay

If no result...

Suppose that your document is named: "How to practice a lobotomy on a juvenile delinquent"

In the search field (all files and folders) type: how

If you still have not found the document:

Click on the below link and download the file.

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/5003-recuva/

Perform "Deep Scan".

Good Luck.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Sep 27, 2010 at 08:10 AM
Hello,

You accidently dragged your folder in the wrong folder. All your docs and files are there.

Use your search tool and look for one of your Word docs. When the tool finds it, you will find the rest of your files in that location.

Regards
I hope u have not defragmented your drives after u lost them. Just search google for undelete softwares u'll find many free softwares, trials,etc. Use them to undelete your files..! If nothing works, try to use TuneUp Utilities, as it will definitely help.. Reply if this helps..
How may i have defragmented my drives? I dont know what that is, could you explain it to me please. I may have done that, because i got a tool to undelete files but none of my documents turned up!
Oct 9, 2010 at 04:39 PM
Myrnal, never mind, you have not fragmented nor defragmented.
Hi Ambucias, thanks for your response. I did search some documents and found them in another folder in my Local Disk. But when i go to open them it comes up with some error saying that this shortcut has been referred or moved and it will no longer work properly. I thought maybe i just couldnt open it in that folder, so i copied the items and put it on my desktop, but the same problem happened when i tried opening them again. Do you possibly know whats wrong?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 4, 2010 at 05:09 AM
Hello Myrnal

What is the folder in which you found your documents called?
Its in a folder called 'Recent Items' which is in a number of sub-folders, in my Local Disk. I can't seem to find any original copies of the documents i look for, they are all shortcuts.
Oct 9, 2010 at 06:07 AM
Recent items is a folder showing the documents you recently open so it is normal that they show as shortcuts, as a matter of a fact all the items there can be safely deleted.

If your documents are word docs, go to your search tool type *.doc and see if you get any results.
Nothing shows up. Would that mean my documents are gone permanently?
Oct 9, 2010 at 04:41 PM
Myrnal,

You have never answered my question. What type of documents are you talking about. I always assumed they were word docs but they may not be.

I think that your documents are on your computer, it is just a matter of finding where you slided them into.
Oh sorry, they are definitely word documents.

I hope so! Its coming upto exam time and i really need those notes.

Thanks for taking the time to help me by the way :)
Ambucias, YOU'RE AWESOME!

I performed the Deep Scan, and it recovered most of my files. Some of them said something like they were overwritten and couldnt be recovered. Others that were recovered couldnt open for some reason, and some of them opened but in an unusual font format so it was unreadable. But those were just a couple, that aren't as important as the ones i really needed. Thanks for your help, really means a lot :)

P.S. I have my Law Exam in about 2 weeks, so thats what i really needed my notes for, to start studying for that.
Oct 12, 2010 at 04:34 AM
Hello Myrnal

Thank you for your feedback and it was a pleasure to help you.

I see about the law exam...I wish you the very best, kind of an A+ with honours