Keyboard on strike

Closed
Belinda - Oct 9, 2010 at 03:06 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Dec 2, 2010 at 04:54 PM
Hello,

I have a double barrel problem...last night my keyboard just stopped typing, the lights were on, but I couldn't get letters to type. So I figured that it was either the PS2 port or the keyboard, and went and bought a cordless keyboard and mouse combo. I also bought a USB hub (the next problem). I came home and plugged in the USB hub and the USB connection for the cordless mouse and keyboard into it. The mouse installed straight away, the keyboard wouldn't. I tried to go into control panel and install using the disk that came with it. But for some reason my computer wouldn't read the (little) disk. So I put it on a laptop and copied the contents of the disk onto my USB stick to install that way. When I went to the removeable disk, it told me that it wasn't formatted and I had to format it. I saved everything onto my laptop and went ahead and formatted the USB stick and then it told me that it was unable to format the disk. Mind you it had erased everything on it. The shortcuts are working on the keyboard, but it will not type. And now I can not open my USB stick as it keeps telling me that it needs to be formatted. This is even when I try to open it without plugging it into the USB port. Could I have a nasty little virus that is messing wiht my whole system?
What is going on and how can I fix it? Any suggestions would be most welcome...
Thanks, Belinda
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 10, 2010 at 07:12 AM
Greetings,

If I may interrupt. This is extremely important

Hyjackthis must not be used by anyone who does not have previous experience in analysing the report. You may delete important registry keys from the registry and damage your system! It should not be used lightly!

I humbly suggest that you have been ill advised by Mrsprinkle.

If you have never heard or use Hyjackthis before, please do not temper with it.

According to what you have described, I doubt very much that you have a virus, however if you wish to ensure that you do not have a virus, you can use Malwarebyte to eleminate any virus.

Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/ es-anti-malware

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take from 20 minutes to hours. Do not interfere no matter how long in takes. The creators of Malwarebyte recommend that while the tool is running that you go do something else, such as watching a rerun of Gone with the Wind or read Tolstoy's War and Peace.

If Malwarebyte restarts your system, launch it again to finish the Full scan.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

If after the scan your keyboard still does not respond for a referal to one of our hardware genius.

Regards
Blocked Profile
Oct 10, 2010 at 08:45 AM
Thanks for the information, kind regards...
What happens if you go to type a letter and it opens to the control + version if that letter? For example, I type "n" and it opens a new document, "f" and it opens the find and replace window. This is happening on Microsoft word, 2007... Or whatever the newest version is. Do I have a virus? Is there a button I pressed to make this happen?
Thanks in advance.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Dec 2, 2010 at 04:54 PM
Hello Mags

Your problem makes sens "N" for new and "F" for find. Does it happen only with Word? When did the problem occur or was it always like that?
Blocked Profile
Oct 10, 2010 at 06:55 AM
Hello,

The issue is clear, your keyboard is not working and you try another one but still the problem persists, isn't it?

You have been right to say that it might be coming from a virus because if the keyboard was faulty, the other one would have worked correctly.

This is a malware or trojan. It is some kind of script or application that works in the background and creates conflicts with other software or as in your case, hardware.

The right solution will be spotting it and removing it but how?

Try using Hijack This, it is a free software that detects spywares and hijackers easily and this is sure to get the problem solved. You can have it downloaded from Kioskea Download Section from the following link.

https://ccm.net/download/download-1236-hijackthis

In the case that the problem persists, don't hesitate to contact back.

Good luck.