Urgent, Help me find my cd rom drive please!!

Closed
delilah763 - Nov 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM
 delilah763 - Nov 19, 2010 at 08:43 AM
Hello,
I've had to restore my laptop back to factory specs because my cdrom/DVD player suddenly decided that it was a HD DVD player. Now, I can't locate my cd rom in device manager, in bios, or anywhere else that I have tried. I've tried re-installing the drivers but it still isn't showing up. Does anyone have a clue what else I can do. It is an HP laptop running Vista Home.

Thanks!!

delilah763

Related:

4 responses

scan ur system..
I've already scanned my system several times. The cd rom/dvd still isn't showing.
I tried the DriverFinder link that you have above and after it scanned my computer it has the dvd player under "unplugged devices", but it's not unplugged????

HELP!!
Blocked Profile
Nov 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM
Hi,

Try this Faq and its given instructions followed:

https://ccm.net/faq/4925-cd-dvd-rom-drive-missing-from-my-computer-or-computer

Good luck
Thanks for responding. I appreciate it but.....
I already tried doing the regedit thing. The upper and lowers were already gone. Any other suggestions?
I even physically removed my cd rom, then booted my system and then physically reinstalled it. No luck. I'm running out of ideas here.
Blocked Profile
Nov 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM
Hi,

By doing all these i fear that you may have to purchase a new one and ill advice for a slim external usb cd/dvd drive.Which you can use when you are in need of it only and even on other computers.

Thanks
thanks for your help. This will be the second time I have to replace the dvd player in this laptop; the first time being just after I bought the computer.
Blocked Profile
Nov 19, 2010 at 07:01 AM
Hi,

So its better you purchase the slim external one and when burning media burn it on lowest speed so that you can use it for longer time.

Thanks
I have another question.... Is there a way to add a type of device to the device manager. Currently, the cd rom catagory isn't even listed on the device manager at all. I'm thinking that this is why it isn't recognizing that there is a cd rom attached to the computer.
Any clue about this?
Blocked Profile
Nov 19, 2010 at 08:42 AM
Hi,

Its firmware may be corrupted which makes it undetectable if you want confirmation or an experience then try it on another laptop .

Thanks
thanks!!