Error message: No bootable device--

Solved/Closed
lauri - Dec 4, 2010 at 09:04 AM
 lauri - Jan 17, 2011 at 04:41 PM
I am having a problem with my daughters laptop. When she turned it on she got a gray screen that says: No bootable disk--insert boot disk and press any key.

I have searched for how to fix this, but any instructions ask me to reformat or type something. I cannot do this because any key I press just gives me the same message.

I do not have a start up disk and I never got around to making a back up disk. Is there any way to get around that.

My other daughter has the exact same laptop purchased the same day (an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC. Is there a way to fix this myself, or can I make a back up disk on the other laptop and use it for the one with the error message.

I am hoping I can get an answer quickly as my oldest is going away on Sunday and the only way to keep in contact with her is through the webcam and skype since it is an international destination.

Thanks so much,

Lauri

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 4, 2010 at 02:05 PM
This error is indicative of a hard drive failure. You might need to replace the hard drive and re-install Windows.

Good Luck
Hiya did you find out how to fix this problem i have the same and dont no what to do?
The answer I got was that it was the hard drive. It was. After reading the reply, I called HP and they walked me through a brief troubleshoot. It was the hard drive. It was totally corrupted.

The good news is that the one year warranty expired in 5 days. They sent me a prepaid box, I sent it back for repair at no cost, thank goodness. They actually repaired it and sent it back the same day. I got it back by Christmas!

Check your warranty, or at least call the manufacturer.