Windows XP machine will not boot.

Closed
azsportsman - Jan 3, 2011 at 03:34 PM
 azsportsman - Jan 21, 2011 at 07:36 PM
Hello,

My daughter was browsing the internet and on Facebook. When her computer rebooted. It will come up to the Windows XP screen then go automatically to the safe mode option screen on its own.

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start
successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding,restarted unexpectedly, or was
automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose Last
Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interropted due to the Power or Reset
Button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem chose
"Start Windows Normally"

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use your up & down arrow keys to move the hightlight of your choice"

No matter what option I select it goes to the splash screen then right back to the safe mode option screen. I try and do a recovery. The PC manufacturer used Ghost to do the backup. It goes into it and looks like it is working then an error message comes up that says output error a:\viewerr.err. She does not have an A drive. I cancel out and recovery "stops". I have no way to get to a command prompt. Any ideas what I can do to get the system working?
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 3, 2011 at 03:56 PM
Your daughter seems to have contracted a dangerous virus, (I mean her computer not her)

Considering the above which prevents total access to the OS, I suggest that you insert the OS CD and boot. Select the repair option.

Good luck

P.S. We are all volunteers on this forum, giving our time. A simple please would have been appreciated.
I appreciate your answer. The problem is there is no OS disk. The computer came with the recovery disk that gives me that error I mentioned. I guess everything is rolled in on that. Is there any other ideas that you cna think of. Could a file have gone corrupt or is it pretty certian it is a virius? She was on facebook and I know people can get viruses on there if they are not careful but it just rebooted in the middle like a file or the HD went bad. Please an other tips wold be appreciated. I have seen similar issues to this by other people on the internet but nothing like this.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 4, 2011 at 05:29 AM
I will consult and get back to you soon.

Please stand by with a little patience.
Will do thanks.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 4, 2011 at 07:10 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Go to Safe Mode

1) Click on Start --> Run --> Type --> msconfig and press Enter.

"System Configuration Utility" will be opened.

In "General" tab --> Select the option "Selective Startup" --> Uncheck the

check box for Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File and Load Startup

Items. So only "Load System Services" and "Use Original BOOT.INI" options

are selected.

2) Now click on "Services" tab --> Check the checkbox "Hide All Microsoft Services"

--> Now click on "Disable All" --> Click on "OK" button and restart your PC.

3) Log into your window normally and if a window appears regarding the changes

that you have made, check the checkbox "Don't show this message or launch the

System Configuration Utility when Windows start" and click on OK.

If you have successfully started your windows normally then follow the step 1

and in "General" tab --> Select "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and

services" and click on OK --> Restart your PC.

If the problem still exists then try "System Restore". You can find all the

information regarding system restore in the below link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

Follow the instructions given in the "Use System Restore"

Good Luck.
That is part of the problem I cn't get into safe mode. When I hit a safe mode option, it goes to windows splash screen then back to safe mode options screen. Never get to a desktop or command prompt.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 5, 2011 at 05:26 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link and download the "Kaspersky Rescue Disk"
https://support.kaspersky.com/14540
Burn that into the empty CD --> Go to BIOS --> Set your first boot device as CD\DVD drive --> Place the Kaspersky Rescue Disk in the CD\DVD drive --> save the BIOS settings and exist from it. Now it will boot from the CD. Follow the instructions and scan your PC with it
Good Luck
Thanks for the reply. I tried this and I was unable to get the computer to boot off of the .iso image. I tried it on several different computers that will boot off of other CDs, just not this iso image. I burned it twice on 2 differnt types of disks as well. So I am not sure if the image itself got corrupted or what. Is there another location I can get that file or something similar from and try that? I really apprecaite your help in this.
Jan 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
1)Click on the below link and download the ISO burner
http://www.freeisoburner.com/FreeISOBurner.exe
2) Place the empty CD in the drive.
3) Double-click on the "FreeISOBurner". When "FreeISOBurner" window appears --> Click on
"Open" button --> Select the downloaded "Kaspersky Rescue Disk"
4) Set "Burn Speed" to 8x or to the available lowest speed from the drop-down menu --> Click on "Burn" button.
After completion, Set your first boot device as CD\DVD drive --> Place the Kaspersky Rescue Disk in the CD\DVD drive --> save the BIOS settings and exist from BIOS.
Good Luck
OK thanks I will let you know how it goes.