Problem reverting Dynamic to Basic Drive

Closed
Mwald - Jan 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM
 misty - Feb 18, 2009 at 09:00 PM
Hello,

Could someone please give me some advice.

I bought a new WD 500 gig drive. I'm running Windows XP. Accidently initialized it as a dynamic drive. I want to partition it so I need to revert it back to basic. The drive has been formatted though I have no storage on it. There is only one volume. I follow the instructions: delete the volume, but when I then right click on the volume, it does not give me the option to Convert to Basic Disk. What do I need to do? I don't want to purchase a program to fix this problem. I have tried to use the utility from the wd disk and it tells me to follow the instructions I just posted.

Thanks everyone who can help.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Jan 4, 2009 at 01:07 PM
download this partition manager program - Easeus Partition Manager - it's FREE

https://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol%3Bpop&cdlPid=10982635
I did the same and needed to change the new drive to basic after formating it in dynamic. To correct, go to management disk.
1. Right click in the long window on the right side for the volume information area of healthy. Delete the volume. You will lose all data on this drive
2. The drive will now be unallocated
3. Right Click in the Disk Volume Number for the drive you want to change from Dynamic to Basic (Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 3 etc) . This is the smaller window on the left. You will get the option to Convert to basic. Say Yes convert.
4). The drive will be converted to basic.
5). Now you can Right Click in the long window on the right and start the partition /format process