Laptop might be done but i hope not advice.

Closed
hoping - Mar 1, 2011 at 08:30 AM
 Niko - Mar 1, 2011 at 08:47 AM
Hello,

Here's my poor laptops story, i got it as a graduation gift and due to a series of unfortunate events it was stolen twice. I just recently got it returned. I have no charger cord for it but my friends net book charger cord seemed to fit so i tried it. The charging light came on, so i tried turning it on fan came on buttons lit up but no screen at all. Is my screen broken or was her charger cord to low of power. I know it needs a new battery not my concern i just want know if it can be saved. Any advice would be wonderful.
Thank you,
Hoping

Related:

1 response

Never plug in a random power supply that "fits".
You are lucky at this point if you didn't just fry it dead.

Start with getting the PROPER power supply, then remove the battery and try to power it on with just the power supply, if the screen doesn't light up, try a external monitor, if that works you have a bad screen, back light, inverter board or possibly cable. If that doesn't work, move on to testing ram, pull the sticks out, replace them with known good stick(s) an see if you can get it to run.

Lastly, odds are deffinetely against you that the netbooks power supply was anywhere near powerful enough and probably didn't even output the correct voltage.

Again that was a very unwise decision, never and I mean never do that with any piece of electronics, especially one that runs off DC power.