Video card causing pc to not boot

Closed
Alex - Mar 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM
computerpro Posts 4 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2011 - Mar 24, 2011 at 08:19 PM
Hello,

A couple days ago I stopped getting a signal to either of my monitors from my pc. When I would turn on the computer all the fans would turn on and lights would flash... I'd even get the normal start up beep... But I didn't think that my pc was actually booting successfully since my speakers never produced the sound to announce windows had started.

I started poking around, reseating the video card, RAM, etc but no changes. I turned the machine off and gave up for a while. Then I smelled something burning. It was coming from the pc and the video card was hot as hell. The pc was off, but still plugged in. This made me think that maybe it was a psu issue.

Just for fun I tried restarting the machine after letting it cool down. This time the fans started and died after just a fraction of a second. Funny thing is, if I remove my video card, it starts up in the same fashion as it did before where the fans all come on and I get the beep.

Any ideas what's wrong? I don't have any spare parts, so swapping in another psu or video card isn't an option unless I buy one.

Thanks!

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Mar 24, 2011 at 05:59 AM
Dear Alex,

First thank you for all the details of your adventure.

Don't you agree that your graphic card is no doubt fried and creating a short?

I suggest that the card must be replaced, you CPU should also get a good compressed air cleaning. I would also check the graphic card's slot for oxydation.

I trust that you also have a good electrical surge protection.

Regards
computerpro Posts 4 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2011 1
Mar 24, 2011 at 08:19 PM
Hi,
do you have a built in graphic card? if so, please try it.