Primary Monitor Question-2

Solved/Closed
BB - Jan 9, 2009 at 09:32 AM
 ramjet - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM
Hello,

Soory...first time user, hit the the wrong button.

I have a laptop and added an additional monitor, I had the additional monitor set up as the primary monitor (it is to the right of my laptop so it was #2) It has worked fine for the last year or so. Yesterday we had a power outage and the #2 monitor dropped out.
Now I can get it to recognize the #2 monitor but...if I try to change it to be the primary monitor it droops out, I can get it to recognize it again but every time I try to change it to the primary it drops out.
I've checked all connections and restarted the computer.

Thanks for any help.

BB
Related:

4 responses

I have a Dell Trinitron attached external monitor, that I was also having trouble with. To fix: In Display, select the Settings tab. Click the Advanced button. Choose Intel Graphics tab. Click on Graphics Properties. Under Multiple Display, reverse the primary and secondary monitors. This will bypass the non-responsiveness in the Display/Settings.
Just been looking on the net for help with this exact problem - you're tip worked great - many thanks.
Thank you slick-2 for this useful note.
Hey, I was just reading your post on how to reset the monitors to make the laptop moniter the primary number one monitor i'm having trouble figuring out what I have to do..any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
awesome this worked for me thank you!!
I was getting frustrated that checking "Use this device as the primary monitor" wasn't working for my second monitor. But this worked! Thanks!
Thanks slick-2. I went thru your instructions and that looks like it would work. I'll keep that one handy. As you can see from my post, I had done a system restore to correct the problem but... your way is a lot safer.

Again, many thanks!

Brad
psu650 Posts 11 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2009 2
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:46 AM
hi,
it seems that you have to install the drivers again.
Yes I did reinstall the drivers and after several hours of messing with it I did a system restore from the day before and everything is working now.

Thanks for your response.

BB
thanks for that very useful tip! i've had this problem more than once now and I'm sure glad I know how to fix it!!