Remote Desktop Connection

Closed
Joy - Mar 29, 2011 at 06:01 PM
 Joy - Mar 30, 2011 at 06:05 PM
Hello,

I have a netbook with windows starter and a laptop with windows ultimate, I could use remote desktop connection using my netbook and laptop as the host everywhere in my house.

But whenever I attempt to enable desktop outside (Mall, School, etc.) I just couldn't.
Is there any thing that I should do?

I tried changing my port number to 3389 still nothing happened.

Please help.
Related:

2 responses

Miyamoto Musashi Posts 21 Registration date Wednesday March 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2011 2
Mar 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Just to clarify: You are using Remote Desktop Connection at home internally using the computer name as the address.

What address are you using in Remote Desktop Connection when you are not at home to attempt to connect to your system?
Just to clarify: You are using Remote Desktop Connection at home internally using the computer name as the address.

What address are you using in Remote Desktop Connection when you are not at home to attempt to connect to your system?

Thank you Miyamoto Musashi :

Yes, I use the computer name as the address:
HOME: 192.168.0.104
My Netbook: 192.168.0.105

Please help me.
Miyamoto Musashi Posts 21 Registration date Wednesday March 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2011 2
Mar 30, 2011 at 05:14 PM
Ok, are you attempting to use the addresses whilst you are not at home and your connected to WIFI elsewhere?
Yes, sir, I would attempt to use the addresses outside my home and connected to wifi.
I'm sorry to ask, as I have been searching for the answer and they didn't say it's complicated to try outside your house.
Mar 30, 2011 at 05:45 PM
No problem. The address you are attempting to connect to will not work whilst you are not at home connected to your network as it is an internal address.

The problem you have is that your Internet Service Provider is very unlikely to have provided you with a Static IP Address (As at the moment you are likely to recieve a different IP address from a pool of addresses).

The best suggestion I have would be to setup a No-IP account which is free but would require some configuration of your router. This would in a sense give you a static address:

https://www.noip.com/

If this seems a little complicated then maybe the following option would be worth having a look at:

https://www.logmein.com/

Someone else may have a better suggestion.
Thank you Miyamoto san, will do your advice.
Have a good one!