Vista - XP Wireless file sharing

Closed
nik - Jan 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM
 Bilbo - Sep 16, 2009 at 03:41 AM
Hello,

I have an XP/SP2 computer connected to a router via ethernet
and a VISTA/SP1 laptop connectet via wifi.

From the XP computer i can access files and printers on the Vista ... but the from vista computer, athough i can see the XP computer and its shared directories on the network , i canot access them.

Internet access works fine.

I have set all permitions to Evryone on the shared folders on the xp system and i have disabled both firewalls
When i connect the Vista to the router via ethernet, evrything works OK!!

I dont know if its a router problem but i didnt have this problem with my old xp laptop a few weeks ago.

Any help is appreciated

thnx
NiK
Related:

1 response

Have you made sure you have updated drivers, and that there is no documentation for errors of said drivers in any manuals or forums online? (with OS's or anything) thats my first step if thats where you are.

If the installs are fresh and/or you have backups if you arnt getting ANYWHERE i would advice getting a fresh install of each first (xp first) and be sure your on the same NETWORK (mshome is default for XP_i forget off the top of my head what vista uses)

Lemme know if you need anymore help
i think it has something to do with the way my router connects (via wifi) to the vista machine
because through ethernet there is no problem

thnx
NiK
To share a printer from an XP computer to a wifi connected Vista computer...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local
Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer
name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in
\\basement\epsonsty
Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.
I hope this helps, I scoured many forums b4 finding this fix. Microsoft's support docs and HP's
tech support were no help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To access/share files/folders from an XP computer to a wifi connected Vista computer...

First, go to the following link, download the LLTD utility for XP and install...

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displ
aylang=en

This package contains the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) responder. The network map on a
computer running Windows Vista shows a graphical view of the computers and devices on your network
and how they are connected by using the LLTD protocol. The LLTD responder must be installed on a
computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map. After you
install this item, you may have to reboot.

The standard routine "setting up file sharing" for both the XP and Vista machines, using the "Same" network name, should set all necessary firewall permissions. You can individually set access permissions for each folder, drive, etc., outside the standard "shared" folders already setup by the OS...

Hope this helps...