RE-boot Loop

Closed
FCawthon Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 18, 2009 - Jan 17, 2009 at 08:03 PM
FCawthon Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 18, 2009 - Jan 18, 2009 at 05:54 PM
Hello,
I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3. All of a sudden now when I do a normal Shut Down it goes through the shut-down routine (logging out; saving settings; windows is shutting down) then instead of shutting down it re-boots and starts again. When you try to shut down again it does the same thing, time after time. The only way to get it to turn off is to hold the button in on the processer. What can I do to resolve this problem? Thanks.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 17, 2009 at 09:14 PM
You first need to turn off the "auto reboot after failure" option of Windows -

To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2.Click the Advanced tab.
3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Then you go to Control Panel - Admin tools - Event viewer then open "System error records" - you might be able to identify your problem from this list. You should find an error that happens when closing one of the system services or background tasks.

I have used a registry cleaner like CCleaner (download it it's FREE) in the past to clear this problem.
FCawthon Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 18, 2009
Jan 18, 2009 at 05:54 PM
I tried everything you said, including the registry cleaner, and the problem remains the same. The Event Log shows a "Service Control Error" and a "DCOM Error", whatever those are. Any other suggestions? Thanks