Something wrong with my .PDF extensions

Closed
Jono - Jan 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM
 Jono - Jan 20, 2009 at 11:09 PM
Hello, I tried Acrobat Pro for a month and decided against buying it. Anyway, ever since I tried/uninstalled it, I noticed that all my saved PDF icons now appear as there's something wrong with the file(They now appear as that little white page with the folded corner on the upper right and the multi colored objects in them)..I don't know the technical term for this but I used to see this occasionally when viewing mp3 files that apparently were named incorrectly. The cure then was to retype the file name Ex: HeyJude.mp3 and all would be fine. However, I've tried retyping these PDF's Ex: Howto.pdf and it still shows up with that bad icon. Mind you that these files open inside the reader correctly but it's annoying to see them look "incorrect" on my desktop..and as I've got lots of these PDF files saved on my desktop, well you can gauge the annoyance..not to mention that this is an indication that something is wrong..even it they open correctly.

Anyone have an idea how to resolve this. I've already uninstalled/installed Acrobat Reader but to no avail.

Thanks so much,

Jonathan
Related:

2 responses

Dette04 Posts 10 Registration date Monday January 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 2, 2009
Jan 20, 2009 at 05:27 AM
You should try to double click on the icon to see if you are asked with which program you want to open it. Else, just use your right click to open the program and select the option "Open With" and "Choose Program".

Now all you have to do is to choose the Acrobat Pro from the list and check the option labelled as "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file."

This should solve your problem.
Thanks for the feedback Dette but here in lies my dilemma. I tried the Acrobat Pro trial and am not interested in buying. I have been able to install Pro again and as you surmised, the PDF files once again have the correct icons/extensions. However, I fear that if I try to remove Pro, I will once again have the same issue. My strategy is to choose open all such files with regular Reader and not have to even worry about Pro. Kind of strange that I can't "remove" it....Hopefully, by avoiding any interaction with Pro, I won't have this issue any further. But if I knew this might be a problem, I would never have taken the trial.

Either way thanks for your help...
leane4 Posts 15 Registration date Tuesday October 21, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2009 12
Jan 20, 2009 at 06:12 AM
hi,
these files are not recognized by your computer.
this is because you have removed the acrobat reader.
pdf files were opening under the abobe (acrobat reader) software.
you must install it again to be able to open them.
so you know what's left to do.