Error message saying i have no audio device

Closed
juju - May 1, 2011 at 04:20 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 3, 2011 at 04:55 AM
Hello,

I had to downgrade from Vista to XP and now i get an error message that says i have no audio device installed, but when i go to my device manager it says every device and driver in the sound and audio section is working and updated, althought im not postive of the name or manufacturer or anything about the driver. just know that everything thats is under the sound and audio is working...but nothing will play and i still get the error messages...i dont know what to do can someone help please!!!!

Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
May 1, 2011 at 04:51 PM
Dear Juju,

Go to your device manager and delete your sound card.

Reboot your system and let Windows detect it as new hardware.

Update the driver and you should then get sound.

Good luck
I will be glad to try that, but im not sure how... lol
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
May 2, 2011 at 05:34 PM
You dont have a sound card showing!

If it is on your motherboard, you should try removing it, cleaning with compressed air and put it back in.

If the problem persists, it's fried and must be replaced.

Sorry chief!
AAAHHHH CRUD! see i knew i wasnt crazy and i didnt have a sound card!! lol ill see what i can do about getting it settled, thank you very much!! you were a big help even though we didnt fix anything :) i kept thinking the problem was me not knowing what in the world my sound card was called haha!! thanks again!
May 3, 2011 at 04:55 AM
Juju,

Lets not be too hasty about this. Very rare are machines that don't come with audio.

Didn't you have sound before downgrading? You have audio codecs showing, why would that be?

Go to Control panel and click on Harware and then add new hardware and see if the wizard will detect the card. If it does not detect it, open your CPU and check to see if the card is there.

Regards
May 2, 2011 at 05:18 PM
Click on start

Click on control panel

Click on system

In that window, click on device manager

Locate audio

Click on the + sign to show the audio card

Locate and click on the audio card, ie Realtek or other make.

Right click, select uninstall. Click okay.

Reboot your computer and Windows will detect it again.

Repeat the above but this time instead of clicking uninstall click on update the driver.

Good luck
ok, the only things that come up under "sound, video and game controllers" is " audio codecs legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices and video codecs" which would be my sound card??
and it doesnt give me any options to delete any of the above...