Excel macro for moving content

Closed
ExcelHelp3 - May 25, 2011 at 04:25 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - May 26, 2011 at 06:56 AM
Hello,
I need a macro that will search for a specific set of values in a specific column for each row of a subset of rows.

Example data can be found here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AppTn7t0jb48dFUtMUszUXlaNjBhLVFkUFZfeEwtVVE&hl=en_US&authkey=CMKC0-8L

For example, the range of rows from one number in column A to the next number in column A constitute a set, and the number of rows is variable for each set. For each set I then want to see if the number 81000 is in column F. If that number is not found within that set, then I want all of the rows deleted within that set. If that number is found within a set, such as in cell F9, but it is not in the same row as the column A data (A1 in this case), then I want the value in F9 moved to F1, and all the other rows except row 1, up to the next set, to be deleted. In this example after moving the number from F9 to F1, then row 2-11 should be deleted.

Thanks for the help!

3 responses

I have data in 4 cells grouped together as...

Name Address
Phone E-mail

I would like to find a macro that will move the column data to rows (removing the old data from the spreadsheet), to look like...

Name Address Phone E-mail

Any help here would be appreciated. Also, there are no blank rows in current data set.
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 25, 2011 at 09:45 PM
You can try this . "doCleanUp" is the main routine that needs to be executed

Public Sub doCleanup()

Dim lStartRow        As Long
   Dim lEndRow          As Long
   Dim lMaxRows         As Long
   Dim lTestRow         As Long

With ActiveSheet
      lStartRow = 0
      lMaxRows = getItemRowLocation("*", .Cells, False, True)
      If (lMaxRows = 0) Then Exit Sub

lStartRow = getItemRowLocation("*", .Range(.Cells(lStartRow + 1, "A"), .Cells(lMaxRows, "A")), False, False)
      Do Until lStartRow = 0
         lEndRow = getItemRowLocation("*", .Range(.Cells(lStartRow + 1, "A"), .Cells(lMaxRows, "A")), , False)
         If lEndRow = 0 _
         Then
            lEndRow = lMaxRows
         Else
            lEndRow = lEndRow - 1
         End If
         lTestRow = getItemRowLocation(81000, .Range(.Cells(lStartRow, "F"), .Cells(lEndRow, "F")), True, False)
         If (lTestRow > 0) Then
            .Cells(lStartRow, "F") = .Cells(lTestRow, "F")
            If (lStartRow <> lEndRow) _
            Then
               .Rows(lStartRow + 1 & ":" & lEndRow).Delete
               lMaxRows = lMaxRows - (lEndRow - lStartRow)
            End If
         Else
            .Rows(lStartRow & ":" & lEndRow).Delete
            lMaxRows = lMaxRows - (lEndRow - lStartRow + 1)
            lStartRow = lStartRow - 1
         End If

If lMaxRows <= lStartRow Then Exit Sub
         lStartRow = getItemRowLocation("*", .Range(.Cells(lStartRow + 1, "A"), .Cells(lMaxRows, "A")), , False)
      Loop
   End With
End Sub

Public Function getItemRowLocation(sLookFor As String, _
                            rngSearch As Range, _
                            Optional bFullString As Boolean = True, _
                            Optional bLastOccurance As Boolean = True) As Long
' get last use row on the sheet

Dim Cell             As Range
   Dim iLookAt          As Integer
   Dim iSearchDir       As Integer

If (bFullString) _
   Then
      iLookAt = xlWhole
   Else
      iLookAt = xlPart
   End If

If (bLastOccurance) _
   Then
      iSearchDir = xlPrevious
   Else
      iSearchDir = xlNext
   End If

With rngSearch
      If (bLastOccurance) _
      Then
         Set Cell = .Find(sLookFor, .Cells(1, 1), xlValues, iLookAt, xlByRows, iSearchDir)
      Else
         Set Cell = .Find(sLookFor, .Cells(.Rows.Count, .Columns.Count), xlValues, iLookAt, xlByRows, iSearchDir)
      End If
   End With

If Cell Is Nothing Then
      getItemRowLocation = 0
   Else
      getItemRowLocation = Cell.Row
   End If
   Set Cell = Nothing
End Function
That is almost perfect. How do I change the code if I want it to keep sets that have either 81000 or 81001 or 81002 or 81003 or 81010 or 81011 or 81012 or 81013 in column F within the set?
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
May 26, 2011 at 06:05 AM
you need to explain "set" part. could 81000 and 81001 both appear on one set. if so then what.

if each number can only appear only once in a set then

convert this statement into a function
lTestRow = getItemRowLocation(81000, .Range(.Cells(lStartRow, "F"), .Cells(lEndRow, "F")), True, False)

test for each possible value in the set (HINT if lTestRow >0, then you have found your match and you can get out of the function

return the result of match
It is highly unlikely that multiple numbers would appear in one set, since the presence of one number excludes the others.

So the code you suggest should work, but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by converting it into a function. If I make it an "or" statement for any of the values, everything gets lost.
May 26, 2011 at 06:56 AM
Highly unlikely means that it can happen and that's the worse case situation for which you have to program. If you say it will never happen that you can ignore that point, but you are not excluding this possibility

In function you search one by one all possible candidate till you found one or exhausted the list. But if you want to stay away from function you can have a bunch of if statement
like this

if (lTestRow =0) then
lTestRow = getItemRowLocation(81001, .Range(.Cells(lStartRow, "F"), .Cells(lEndRow, "F")), True, False)
end if

if (lTestRow =0) then
lTestRow = getItemRowLocation(81002, .Range(.Cells(lStartRow, "F"), .Cells(lEndRow, "F")), True, False)
end if

and so on..