DVD/CD-ROM not working in Vista

Closed
Emeror - Jun 2, 2011 at 04:04 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jun 3, 2011 at 06:23 AM
Hello,

I have recently installed windows vista after formating my HDD, and it asked me to install service pack 1 & 2 & also the updates from microsoft.

after installing updates my DVD/CD-ROM icon disappeared from My computer & Explorer.

Can Anyone suggest solution ...

Thanks...
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 2, 2011 at 09:01 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> In search box, type regedt32 and press "Enter"

Registry editor will be opened.

Backup your registry by going to File --> Export and save the file with any name.

Now on the left side, navigate to the location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SYSTEM --> CurrentControlSet --> Control

----> Class ---> Click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

At right side delete these files if u find it

upper filters,lower filters,upper filters.bak,lower filters.bak and then restart your

PC.

Good Luck.
hi ... I followed these steps but here is no such entries of lower filter & upper filters...
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 2, 2011 at 04:26 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs
Click on "Run Now" and follow the instructions.
If the problem still exists then
Click on Start --> In search box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
"Device Manager" will be opened.
If you notice yellow mark on the DVD-drive's name then double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Properties". Let me know the complete "Device Status" message.
Good Luck
dear jack! in device manager i dont see any DVD/CR Rom appearing with even yellow mark ...

I have actually recently installed service pack 1 & 2 so it might be because of that but i do not want to restore my computer to back dates... otherwise again i have to install sometime all these updates later ... but that will not serve the purpose...

thanks
Jun 3, 2011 at 06:23 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
1) If your DVD-Drive is missing in the device manager then go to BIOS and check if your DVD-drive is detected in the BIOS or not.
2) Try updating the drivers.
Good Luck