Wireless laptop expenses

Closed
Dianne - Jun 20, 2011 at 03:40 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Hello,
I am new to this and I have bought my son a laptop and it has wifi but there is no unsecured signal that he can access while in our home. So what exactly do I need to purchase in order to be ableto turn on the laptop and instantly get internet access anywhere, anytime? Do I have to pay monthly for this service, and what is the least expensive? Please help me asap. Thank you - Dianne

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Yes you will have to pay monthly. there are a number of options:

1. Any of the cell phone networks will sign you up and will either sell you or give you an adapter. You get access anywhere a cell phone works. This can be VERY expensive (over $100 month) depending on the volume of downloads. It will not be the fastest option.

2. The local telephone company (and sometimes other ISPs :Internet Service Providers) can provide you with a DSL modem for your Internet connection and a wireless Router. This gives you access in your home.
AT&T will also give you access via wifi at some public places.

3. The local cable TV company can provide you with a modem and optionally a wireless router. This might be the fastest access. You will only have access in your house.

4. You might ask your neighbor for their security key. You could share the cost. The ISP will NOT be happy with this sharing.

Good Luck