Get information from hard drive

Closed
joy - Jan 24, 2009 at 09:40 PM
akeila_wolf Posts 7 Registration date Thursday January 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 24, 2009 - Jan 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM
Hello,
try to install msn massenger, so a get download from microsoft page and now my computer is say that some problem happen so it shoutdown windows and ask me to restart the computer and it try to start windows xp and then go back to same page that is black with the same instructions: save mode, save mode with networking. and start windows automaticly. try again is doing the same thing, i put the recovery disc compaq presario recovery and it appear blue screen with the massage this is no a compaq computer in diferents languages. so i try diferents ways an nothing work, the same thing . i can get far from that.
now i'm install the hard drive to an other computer that has windows 98 an start doing back up for this drive d:, and i'm no sure if it doing complete back up, because apper a message that it said the media is no the same that the back up file it say change it, and i don't know about it but i want to recover the file and pictures from this hard drive, before i can recovery or restore the same drive , but even that I don't know how to doing.
also i wan to put back the same hard drive to the other computer if i can make it work.
any suggestions. appreciate, thaks
Related:

1 response

akeila_wolf Posts 7 Registration date Thursday January 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 24, 2009 5
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM
Your best option is to install your OS to a different location than the one it normally would go to. IE: Instead of c:\windows make it c:\winxp or c:\win98 depending on which OS you are using.

You may have the wrong CD for a compaq computer, verify that your computer is the model listed on the CD, and if not, contact HP for a new CD for your system. If you have changed out the motherboard in the system it may not be recognized as a HP/Compaq system and therefore fail.

Windows 98 does NOT recognize the NTFS file system that Windows XP is normally installed with. You will have to use an operating system that does if this is the issue, which is Windows NT, XP, and Vista. You may also search http://www.bootdisk.com and see about creating a NTFS boot disk, which will let you boot the 98 machine with the other hard drive in it, and be able to read both drives, then you will have to navigate in DOS to copy and paste, and if you search the net for Copying Files In DOS you should find an easy explaination of how to do it

Good luck

Wolfy

**** DISCLAIMER ****
ALL INFORMATION IS PROVIDED AS IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY, AND WHILE EVERY EFFORT IS MADE TO VERIFY ITS ACCURACY, YOUR USE OF WHAT IS WRITTEN IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU ARE HUMAN AS AM I AND SUBJECT TO MAKING MISTAKES. IF YOU KILL, DESTROY, SMOKE, BURN UP, FRY, OR OTHERWISE RENDER YOUR COMPUTER, COMPUTER SYSTEMS OR ANY DAMN THING ELSE USELESS, YOU DO SO BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING AND CAUSED IT TO HAPPEN EVEN AFTER READING THIS AND SINCE I DID NOT PRESS THE KEYS, YOU HOLD ME AND MINE HARMLESS FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN, MOON, AND STARS.