Dell laptop problems

Closed
Dawn - Jul 20, 2011 at 01:44 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 20, 2011 at 03:45 PM
Hello,

When a turn my Dell Inspiron Laptop on I get this message: The AC power adapter wattage & Type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or greater for best performance. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter.

We bought a new adapter and are still having the same problem. The laptop will not charge; however we are able to use it as long as the adapter is plugged in.

Please help! What is the problem and how do we fix it?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 20, 2011 at 03:45 PM
Are you using a authentic Dell adapter? Cheap clones often can't be identified by the laptop. When it can't identify the wattage the laptop will default to it's lowest setting. It will not both run the laptop and charge the battery. I might be able to charge the battery when the laptop is not operating. For the fastest charge while operating you should use a 90W adapter.

Good Luck