File got hidden

Closed
sjagtap7 Posts 27 Registration date Wednesday October 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2012 - Jul 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM
sjagtap7 Posts 27 Registration date Wednesday October 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2012 - Jul 31, 2011 at 06:01 AM
Hello,

As soon as I download some of file from yahoo mail then my E drive and Desktop Icon become blank. there was nothing anything to see all my files look like deleted. And one thing is all my software from Start- all programs became empty. yes I m not joaking.
It means if I go to open word file then all programe- Microsoft office- Microsoft office tools - then empty yes only empty. But after some time I right click on E drive then folder option - veiw- show hidden files and folder clicked then all my E: drive folder got visible. thank god
and same thing I did with Desktop Icon.

But Still I am not able to open any software from start-all programe please help me
Thanks In advance.
Related:

2 responses

canard_blanc Posts 2 Registration date Saturday July 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2011
Jul 30, 2011 at 06:12 PM
sjagtap7,

Try the following:

Download <b>Unhide.exe</b> to your Desktop:

<a href="https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe" target="_blank">http://download.bleepingcomputer.co...</a>

If the file does not download, copy/paste the following link >without brackets< in the address bar of your browser:
https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

Right-click on unhide.exe and select: Run as Administrator
Allow the program to run.

This program removes the hidden attribute from all the files on your hard drives.

Let us know how it goes.

Next, please download <b>DDS</b>:
https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/Beta/dds.exe

Save it to the Desktop, however, rename it as you save it, to: DDS.com

Vista/Windows 7, right-click and select: Run as Administrator to run the program.
XP, double-click DDS.com

As the program starts, select: 'Advanced', then, select the following:
-Reset Policies
-Restore File Associations

Click 'Start', then click 'Yes' to the next message.

When done, please post the [B]dds_advanced_fixes.txt/B log in your reply.

Note: If you cannot access the Internet, get a hold of a clean computer, download it to a USB flash drive (or removable media: external hard drive, CD/DVD), and run it from there
sjagtap7 Posts 27 Registration date Wednesday October 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2012
Jul 31, 2011 at 06:01 AM
I download file unhide.exe and run as administrator(with my name). and click run
another window open winRAR self-extracting archive
there was a message (Cannot open C:Documents and Setting\Administrator\My Documents\
downloads\unhide.exe) Destination folder C:\WINDOWS and click on install afterwards
I got this message Windows cannot fine'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\
unhide.exe', Make Sure you tyeped the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,
Click the Start button, and then click Search.

And also I download Next download link https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/Beta/dds.exe

and save it to Desktop and rename it DDS.com and open it then prompt new window DDS:Settings
click on scan checkbox and clicked start button. And its create one log file that I am sending u

Thanks you sir
sanjay
Anonymous User
Jul 31, 2011 at 01:48 AM
This is caused due to Rogue software called windows recovery tool.
The infection hides the files .Most of the time it hides the desktop,startmenu ,quick launch icons in a folder called SMTMP which is located in %temp% folder.

So First step is to

Run malwarebytes and clean the PC ,reboot and then try to unhide files.
by using unhide.exe or Running this command as administrator

attrib -h c:\*.* /s /d

This will unhide your files but doesnot recover your lost ICONS.

If you are lucky and not cleared your %temp% folder ,you can

RECOVER YOUR START MENU AND DESKTOP ICONS FROM SMTMP folder

For

windows vista and win 7

1. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\1
and paste it to this folder:
c:\program data/microsoft/windows/start menu

2. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\2
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\3
C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

4. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\4
C:\Users\Public\Desktop

windows xp

1. Copy the entire content of this folder:
c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\smtmp\1
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

2. Copy the entire content of this folder:

c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\smtmp\2
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

4. Copy the entire content of this folder:

c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\smtmp\4
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.

YOU CAN USE RECUVA SOFTWARE TO RECOVER THE ICONS IF SMTMP FOLDER IS NOT PRESENT