Gateway M-Series SA6 Will not charge? Help!

Closed
Jenni - Aug 4, 2011 at 06:53 PM
 jul - Jan 18, 2015 at 03:41 PM
Hello,

I have a 2008 Gateway M-Series SA6 red laptop that will not charge with the charger, and has officially died on me. My laptop is always plugged in when I use it, and it eventually started to sometimes charge and sometimes wouldnt. Then it went to having to put the laptop in just the right spot to get it to charge. Well after a few months of that it stopped taking a charge all together. I dont think its the battery, and I know its not the charger. I bought a few more chargers thinking that was the problem but they all work and will not charge my laptop. Any thoughts on what I could do? My brother (who knows his computers) took it apart to check it out, but could find nothing wrong with it. He did say it could be the actual power outlet on the laptop itself, but he couldn't get to it. I cant seem to get much help from Gateway, and I really dont want to pay a fortune for this fix. Anyone please, if you have any ideas let me know! Thank you so much.

Related:

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 4, 2011 at 07:39 PM
Does the laptop power in without the battery in using the power adapter?

if so, you'll need to replace the battery.

Using the laptop whilst having it on charge can have effects on the battery.
The AC Power source on the motherboard for Gateway's are notorious for failing. The cost is around $25 for the replacement however, the bigger problem is that it has to be removed from the motherboard and saudered back on. Good Luck!
I am having the same problem!!! Ever since I bought this laptop 2 years ago I have had nothing but problems. Very dissapointed. And your right Gateway isnot much Help.
I still have my gateway.. Jus let u know its the batteries. I love mine. Jus get new battery n u be good to go. Give me a half wrkin gateway over a dell anyday.
Blocked Profile
Aug 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM
i also had a gateway, battery went :']
got a hole in the bottom of it... "spits tobacco" Need ye a new battry.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
This happened to me with the exact same model. My husband fixed it by wiring an external power plug to the circuit board. I also have to replace the battery within the month as it is also going. It might be cheaper to buy a new laptop with the cost of the batteries! The 2 plugs my husband bought cost $4 at Radio Shack and another $2 for the wire. Good luck
Just fyi, I have the exact same model and same problem... I wouldn't listen to those saying "buy a new battery". I bought a new battery and it makes no difference at all, it will not charge that one either.... just throwing more money at the problem that way.