Windows 7 laptop factory settings restore

Closed
Jon - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 16, 2011 at 03:37 PM
Hello,
About a week ago my windows 7 toshiba laptop started displaying the "a disk read error occurred. press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" message. i dont have anything i want to save on my computer so i attempted to restore to factory settings by using the most common method:

To restore the original factory software image on your computer follow these steps:

Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
Click Yes to continue.
When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.

well this didnt work for me! the computer is so messed up it wont boot to the recovery warning screen. after windows trys to "load files" with no progress it give me the windows boot manager screen and gives me no repair options. it only says windows has encountered a problem communicationg with a device connected to your computer blah blah blah and says press enter to continue . is there any other way to restore factory defaults?

Please help!!! thanks!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 16, 2011 at 03:37 PM
The disk read error means exactly that. The hard disk has some areas that can't be read. The only way to fix this is to replace the hard disk and reinstall Windows. I hope you made the backup CDs that will enable you to do the reinstall.

Good Luck