Windows 7 blank screen with cursor

Closed
matt - Aug 20, 2011 at 06:55 AM
mancy Posts 124 Registration date Monday July 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2016 - Sep 16, 2011 at 04:39 AM
Hello,

i just installed a windows 7 update on my dell inpiron laptop last night, and now this morning it starts, displays the 'loading windows' screen then the screen goes black with a cursor and nothing happens. i cannot even get into the bios to load from a disk. someone please help, thanks!

Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM
If you can't get to the BIOS then this indicates a motherboard problem. I suggest you try the PFkey again (multiple times right after you turn the laptop on).

Good Luck
Blocked Profile
Aug 24, 2011 at 02:36 AM
Hi xpcman.

What is PFkey and its function please.

Thanks
Jettisonbrains Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday September 7, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011 at 08:52 AM
Okay. I've been going through this for the past month. Reading all sorts of stuff on possible graphics driver issues and viruses and none of those seem to have been the actual problem. I even re-installed to XP from Windows 7 Ultimate just to rid myself of any potential viruses and I was still getting similar problems. I have an external, so everything that was important was backed up. I did the CHKDSK and let it repair which took 12 long-ass hours and then I had all the same issues all over again. Even in Safe Mode I had problems. Sometimes it would work in the beginning and turn to crap. Then after a while I would get Preparing Security Options when hitting Control-Alt-Delete and it would hang until forced restart. Then after a forced restart, I would get a BSOD error. Then I downloaded Seatools to check the hard drive and it failed the Short DST which means my hard drive was crapping out big time.

I would download Seagate Seatools. It's free. And if your hard drive passes then you can cross that off your list of issues. I wish I could be more help because there was very little for me on this issue even though it seems to be widespread.
mancy Posts 124 Registration date Monday July 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2016 94
Sep 16, 2011 at 04:39 AM
Here are some tips to fix black screen error on Windows 7 systems with the cursor hang:

Use Windows 7 DVD

You can use the Windows 7 DVD to repair these black screen issues in the system. For this, you need to insert the DVD in the system and then restart the system. You will be then prompted to press any key to boot from the disk. After pressing any key, you will reach the "Install Now" screen. In this screen, you need to select the `Repair Your Computer' options. In the next screen appearing, you will get two options from which you need to select the first option and then select the OS you installed in the system. Choose `Start-Up Repair' from multiple repair options. You will get the system restarting itself and you can get the issue resolved with this.

Last known good configuration

It is possible that any serious changes to the Windows 7 system get it in black screen error with the cursor hang. You can try restoring the system to its last known good configuration to resolve the issue. For this, you need to tap specific keys to enter the set-up of the system. As the BIOS appear, search out the Restore Default Settings options. After selecting the option, save it and then exit the menu. You will then get the system to its initial state. You will get a boot options menu as your computer restarts and you need to select the `Last known good configuration' from this.

Disconnect any external devices

If still you experience the black screen issue in Windows 7 system, you can check if any of system hardware is causing the issue. For this, you need to remove each external device of the system and try to start up the system. You may try disconnecting any unwanted internal devices to fix the issue.