Difficulty powering up, won't boot

Closed
mingshu - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM
 Anonymous User - Aug 26, 2011 at 02:11 AM
Hello,
So here is my long story....laptop hp pavillion dv600 was attached to power adapter during a thunderstorm. Two days later I used my laptop to access my tax program and it worked fine. When I tried to connect to the internet, my laptop could not find a wireless network, so I rest the modem and still no connection. Restarted again and found a connection. Then I decided to download a program from Cnet that allows you to copy dvds to your computer. During the donload process it asks to restart windows. I answered yes and went on doing other things. When I returned, windows had not restarted and I could not power up my laptop. I have tried all the tricks, even removing the ram cards and reseating them. The only way I can power up is to press the power key and control alt delete at the same time. It sounds as if it is going to start, the fan runs, all lights are lit blue, except the wireless light which is orange. I have not tried to hook it up to another monitor (afraid to ruin something). Left it on last night and it still has a solid black screen. Don't know if something got fried during the storm or if there is a virus problem from the download, although I have Mcafee protection. If I close the lid completely, the power stays on. i thought it used to shut off, but I may be wrong about that. Thinking I may have a bad motherboard. Tried to test it by ppowering it up without the memory cards. Another website said that if the computer made a continuous beeping sound when doing this, that the motherboard was good. My laptop was silent!!!! Probably an indicator that the motherboard is bad, if I did that right. The series of events is what puzzles me and I am not ready to resign myself to the fact that I have a bad motherboard. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any other ideas on how to determine if I have a bad board? Does anyone think a boot program would work. What about restore cd's?

Related:

3 responses

Anonymous User
Aug 21, 2011 at 03:31 PM
Hello,

Your problem could be a motherboard issue if you remove the RAM from their slot and it make no beep.

But did you get your motherboard's brand name when you switch on your laptop?

Let me know for further assistance.
no, I do not get motherboard name when i switch on laptop. Nothing appears on the screen. In fact, i am not sure i can get it powered up anymore. Do you think there's a chance this could be a virus issue?
Anonymous User
Aug 26, 2011 at 02:11 AM
Hi,

The problem is due to the graphic card failure.
1. If you have an external graphic card and you get this problem. Then probably your graphic cards busted.
2. If you have an integrated graphic card and you get this problem. Well, Sorry but its about time you replace your motherboard.
Integrated graphics are not fixable.
3. If its the external problem. Then switch to the integrated graphic card (Thats if you have one) or get a new graphics card either with your warranty (if its valid) or buy one.

Other Solutions
1. (Only for external graphic card holders) This problem is very common due to dust residing on the graphic card/graphic card slot. Just take out the graphic card, and with a paint brush clean the metal parts and the graphic card slot. Be very careful when doing so as this slot are very delicate. Do so at your own risk.
2. This problem may occur if you computer heats up very much.
*Clean up the insides of your Pc with a paint brush at least once a month. (Due to Dust)
*Try hooking up an extra cooling fan to your Pc to reduce the heat.
*Keep your Pc in a well ventilated area such as close to a window.
*If your Pc is a expensive one, try installing a liquid cooling system to it. May at least cost 300$.

Regards!