Transfer a range of cell contents WB1 to WB2

Closed
Chris - Aug 25, 2011 at 09:19 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Sep 1, 2011 at 08:54 PM
Hello,

I need to transfer a range of cells example f81 to 081 from one excel sheet to another excel sheet - how is this done. I formerly used Lotus 123 and used file combine specified rages (f81..o81) from sheet pay01 to current workbook...and it worked excellently - how is this done so simple without copy pasting info?

Thanks.

4 responses

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181148/EN-US

This link explains about the use of an addin. I've not tried it and don't know if the add-in still works with current versions of Excel.

Can you explain exactly what your goal is? I'm not sure many on this forum know what that Lotus command actually does.
Do you just want to refer to data in the other sheets or copy them without a link back to the original?
So the function in Lotus basically takes a range of cells from one spreadsheet and enters them in another without copy pasting, nor does it link one to the other.

It's basically for payroll calculations. The one sheet which is entered manually is then inputted in a second workbook as a summary sheet...ideally I need to take ranges ex: a1..through 01 and enter them in whichever range needed to fill a summary sheet, so from the summary sheet you will enter a command that takes ranges a1..o1 from workbook1 and then they automatically input...sounds redundent yes, but it's how we do it.

Let me know if you need further explanation.
RayH Posts 122 Registration date Tuesday August 31, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen June 20, 2016 26
Aug 27, 2011 at 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the file/combine command does either a copy/paste or a link otherwise how would the values be transferrred from one sheet to the other.

Question: once the file/combine command has been run and the values are now placed in the 2nd sheet, if you change one of these values in the 2nd sheet, what happens? Does the value in 1st sheet change?

Have you tried to copy the range, then in the 2nd sheet Paste Special, Paste Link.
This will create a link even though you say you don't want one.
Any changes in the 1st sheet will then be reflected nh the 2nd.

So, other than magic I don't know what else to suggest.
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Sep 1, 2011 at 06:14 AM
well there are other options beside magic. Hiring a dude to work on the issue was the first one that came to my mind :P.
You asked questioned and I see a total lack of courtesy and manners in not getting replies to them, I would not volunteer other suggestions :D
Chris is the same person as Mogolish - and pardon me rizvisa1, but I have not been at the office for a couple of days. Tis not my intention to insult you and quite frankly I don't appreciate your comment. I did not come here looking for magic, I came here looking for answers from someone that might have used Lotus 123 and is now using Excel. I'm not being ignorant enough not to answer questions, I am simply not around, stop jumping to conclusions, please.

Now, with that being said, I do not know how to copy a range without physically copying and pasting, so that is what I will need explanation on. Is there a formula or macro that I can create that will do such?

Secondly, the information that is pasted in the second sheet is basically a summary of the first. If information changes in the first sheet, then it should not be reflected in the second unless done manually and vice versa.

I hope this makes more sense, being that I am a Lotus user, I thought there might be a command that would essential do same as in Excel. If there is such, how does one go about trying to create it?

Thank you.
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Sep 1, 2011 at 08:54 PM
Chris, Question of you insulting me does not even arise in this case as I never asked you a question. About magic part, if you read RayH message his point was in light vein and my comment over his was in same kidding way.

Now for your issue, it has been a long time since I have worked with Lotus but I think I know what you are talking about. I think i recall that functionality where it can copy the range (but I might be wrong here). Excel as far as I know does not provide this functionality. I think for that you may have to create a custom macro that you can run on demand, give it a range and it will copy and paste the data. But before you think of macro, have you considered VLOOKUP . Could you post at some shared site a sample file with some sample data and post back link here. If you can use that book as sample to explain what you want to accomplish, there might be a better way. Generally speaking I think macro should be able to create/update your summary sheet. But again one has to see the sample to say it thats true or not