How do I recover my files from my ext. hdd

Closed
vapourgrafix - Oct 18, 2011 at 05:00 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 18, 2011 at 06:36 PM
Hello,
Please I have a very serious problem...
I accidental kept one of my system's mini external speakers on my external hard disk while cleaning up my work table. And now my system shows up an error alert when I try to access the external hard disk. then I checked out the property of the hard disk and it reads: 0 byte free space and 0 byte used space.
I'm really in a big problem here cos I'm currently working on a musical video and all the raw files captured for the video (over 120 gb) is in the hard disk and I have no backup and deadline for the delivery is in the next 3 weeks. even some of the edited video files that is worth over 36gb is still in there.
please do I have any hope because I'm dazed right now....

the external hard disk is a WD Element 500gb. usb 2.0

Related:

2 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Oct 18, 2011 at 06:34 PM
Hi.

First, you need another storage space for all that data. So get another 500 GB HDD or something big enough to back up what you need.

Download this tool:

https://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Power-Data-Recovery-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-10561431.html

Select "Lost Partition Recovery" and back up your data. If you need help navigating through the software, please write back. Best of luck recovering the video's. As a video editor myself, I know how many hours can be spent doing this and I would hate to lose any of my work.

Good luck.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 18, 2011 at 06:36 PM
You need some specialized data recovery software. I suggest you Google "data recovery". EASEUS has some good software and you can do a free trial to see if it will work. Expect to spend days to recover the disk (or days and not recover anything). www.easeus.com

It's too late now. But, important data should always be on a minimum of two devices and a DVD copy should be remotely located.

It's not if a hard drive will fail it's WHEN it will fail. They always fail at some point and external drives have the highest failure rate.

Good Luck