Problem starting windows xp

Closed
Holly - Oct 22, 2011 at 05:19 PM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Oct 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Hello,

I was on the internet & was unable to watch a tv show thu xfinity. then i tried to read e-mail and could not open it. so i restarted my computer & got a message that it was unable to open correctly because of a hardware or software change. I get the choice to start in a 3 different safe modes, or to the last know good configuration that worked-or to start normally (this happens automatically after a few seconds) well I tried all the modes and it still will not start. I then shut it off for about an hour & still the same message Any suggestions to help me fix it or is it over for my pc? Please help!
Related:

6 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Oct 23, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Hi

What exactly does the message say? does it have any other details than those you said above?
That's basically it- that a hardware or software change prevented it from starting correctly or that there was a power outage while it had been starting. I did not change any hardware or software-no power outages- also I thought at first it was too hot but its been off all night and still the same message this morning. I tried each safe mode, I do get the white files rolling by- then it looks like it is going to start again , but it takes me back to the same screen. Right before this screen comes on, there is a blue screen with writing but it flashes by too fast. Do you think I should open the tower and vacuum it -do you think this could be caused by a dust build up? I greatly appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Oct 23, 2011 at 04:21 PM
I dont think that it is a dust problem but clearing the dust will help with performance, but thats for later.

What your experiencing is a BSOD (Blue screen of death). When you start up the PC, press F8 a few times and there should be an option to disable an automatic restart on system error.

When the screen goes blue, you'll see an error at the top. i.e- UNMOUNTABLE_VOLUME_DISK. The error may be something else. Tell me what the error is.

Don't worry, the data should still be intact and if you can't fix this, you can still save your data. Happy to help =)
Hello
The error message that comes up says

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Thank you for helping me out!
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM
OK.

What about under it? Does it have something like

Technical Information:
*** 0x *some numbers and letters - then more in brackets*?

And under this, it should have a file. So like USBPORT.SYS or something else. What is this file?

It seems like an error in swapping files occured and a key system driver cannot be located.

Do you have the windows installation discs?

Any time. I hope we can fix this
There is no file listed. the technical information at the bottom says:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x006CED42, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x80530F82)

I believe we have the installation discs.
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Hi,

It could be a problem with your video card if you have got a Nvidia : https://ccm.net/faq/12171-windows-irql-not-less-or-equal-blue-screen

Best regards
Hi aquarelle,

I checked out that link but the error numbers don't match up. I'm not sure if we have a nvidia or not, I'll see if we can find information on our original specs.

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Anonymous User
Oct 24, 2011 at 11:35 PM
Its very difficult to troubleshoot without your minidump files which requires you to atleast boot into safemode

If that is not possible then only option is to try repairing with your OS CD
Oct 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM
OK. Is there no .SYS file?

Try putting these discs in and see if there is an option to repair windows. If there is, do that.

Good luck