Windows XP won't find second Disk Drive

Closed
Byron - Dec 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM
 Byron - Dec 27, 2011 at 06:19 PM
Hello,
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 as my main drive but I yanked a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 out of another PC. I dropped it in and hooked it up, fired the PC up but nothing shows the new disk drive, not in management, and not in control panel. How do I get it showing so that I can format it? I have dual bios and I think it's set to RAID. This is a windows xp professional on an AMD Athlon. I'm not super geek and don't understand all the First Start (Delete) key configuration stuff.

All the forums I read say that the system should recognize Disk 0 & Disk 1(the new disk) and then format it from there but I don't see the Disk 1 at all.

Appreciate the help =)
~B~

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 27, 2011 at 04:51 PM
First off you can't set the disks to RAID. That splits the data between two hard disks and needs to be set to RAID before you install Windows.

You probably have the hard drive jumpers both set to "master". You need to set the 2nd HD to "slave" if you have two hard drives on a single IDE cable. You should find a diagram on the HD case that will show you how to set it to slave.

Good Luck
Sorry maybe I didn't explain this well the first time. I just plopped in a second Disk Drive(a similar Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, the already installed drive is a 7200.7) I'd like to format the new drive but, my system won't recognize the drive at all in neither BIOS, Management, nor C-Panel. BIOS(dual) is set to RAID with my original drive(if that matters in this situation). This is for an older Win-XP-Pro on an 8x AGP Gigabyte system. - These drives don't have jumpers, nor a master & slave... http://techreport.com/articles.x/9147/1

The new drive is already formatted from the it's original PC but the PC died in other ways so I just yanked it out of there and I want to wipe it clean.
Also, the new drive has windows 7 on it... Is it possible to use two windows platforms? I would guess that one or the other needs to be wiped clean and since my current drive has all the programs etc. on it, that I'd just continue using the XP Pro. and use the second drive as file storage etc.
Sorry maybe I didn't explain this well the first time. I just plopped in a second Disk Drive(a similar Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, the already installed drive is a 7200.7) I'd like to format the new drive but, my system won't recognize the drive at all in neither BIOS, Management, nor C-Panel. BIOS(dual) is set to RAID with my original drive(if that matters in this situation). This is for an older Win-XP-Pro on an 8x AGP Gigabyte system. - These drives don't have jumpers, nor a master & slave... http://techreport.com/articles.x/9147/1

The new drive is already formatted from the it's original PC but the PC died in other ways so I just yanked it out of there and I want to wipe it clean.