Dis/Reappearing icons, startbar, desktop

Closed
lonelysealion - Feb 2, 2009 at 03:14 PM
 lonelysealion - Feb 3, 2009 at 09:03 PM
This problem only started yesterday, and I have not had any problems like it before.
So, I start up my computer (Windows XP, for those wondering), and everything is fine. I log in, again; fine.
My wallpaper loads, my icons load and then my start bar loads as normal, but after about 5 seconds or so, everything disappears but the wallpaper.
I wait about 10 seconds, and everything starts to load on my desktop again, but it just disappears like before.
After several minutes (and sometimes on the first time) the desktop won't load at all and I'm stuck with just my wallpaper.

For the 5 seconds I have before everything disappears, I can run programs, but the folders will close. While just my wallpaper is the only thing on screen, I can use Task Manager to run programs, but other than that, I can't do much.

Suggestions on how I can fix this? I was thinking it was an explorer problem, because I've cleaned my registry and have run Virus and Spyware checks. Also, does anyone know what might have caused this? So I can avoid it in the future, I mean.

Thank you!
Related:

3 responses

I have the same problem. Started with a million pop-ups while online and slower performance. Had lots of pop-ups about needing some strange anti-virus program (although I already have a program and it was current). Then recently the disappearing icons and start menu. I have lots of pictures from my wedding and such that I haven't had time to back up yet. Very worried about losing them. Any help would be so much appreciated!
lonelysealion
Feb 2, 2009 at 08:50 PM
So, and update: my brother and I tried to fix this, but nothing has worked so far.

I did notice, however, that explorer.exe is just switching on and off. We changed the priority in Task Manager, but nothing changed. When I choose "New Task (run...) - explorer", the start bar and desktop appear for a few seconds, and then disappear along with explorer.exe closing from the processes.
Also, explorer (when actually running) takes anywhere from 60% to 100% CPU usage, which I thought was strange.

We tried a system restore from January 31st and January 30th (The problem arose February 1st), but both times it came up with a message saying "Restoration Incomplete: No changes were made to your computer". I have no idea why System Restore failed. Should I try a system restore from earlier? Or is there something else I can do?

I was thinking maybe I could download an explorer.exe from a functioning computer and replace it, but I'd like to know if there's anything else I could do before I try that.

Please help!
lonelysealion
Feb 3, 2009 at 09:03 PM
Okay, so my problem seems to be fixed now.

HOW I FIXED IT:
I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and scanned my entire computer. I came up with 66 errors (it finds a lot that others don't seem to catch), and I have heard that the Vundo Trojan causes this problem. I had a few of those, and once removed, my computer runs (and runs BETTER).

It seems there are multiple ways to solve this, but this is what helped me.