Computer loads but not the screen

Closed
maria - Feb 24, 2012 at 01:27 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 24, 2012 at 06:19 PM
Hello,

I have an xp inspiron e1505. Now, the computer lights, battery etc are turning on and powering on BUT the screen is dead. My top half of laptop broke off (but everything was ok until few hours ago) and I think it triggered something which is preventing the screen from working... anyone know how to fix? or help?
Thank you for any and all help!
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Feb 24, 2012 at 01:13 PM
The screen is connected to the laptop motherboard using a thin ribbon cable and a power cable for the back light. If the lid broke-off then you might have disconnected or broken one of these wires also.
OMG I feel like this could be it. I am not tech savvy as the people here or very experienced. Can you please tell me where to find it, and is the only way to remove the back completely? I have the top part, and the area where the power buttons are completely removed. My computer is very old/used but I need the info on it asap so if there is a way to fix it... The lid is completely off but for the past days it was no problem so maybe it is worn off or pulled off?
THANK YOU!!
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Feb 24, 2012 at 04:46 PM
If you have a VGA plug on the back of the laptop then you can often plug an external monitor into the laptop. Sometimes you will need to find the PFkey that activates the VGA port. Then you can continue to use the laptop like it was a desktop computer.

You can always remove the hard drive from the laptop. Buy a USB enclosure box that converts the hard drive to a portable external drive. Then the data should be usable on another computer.

It would be nice to know the make and model of your laptop.
oh yes. sorry. ok I like that it's not a lost cause. VGA hmm is that automatically part of my laptop? I have a Dell E1505 inspiron 15-16 in. Microsoft XP. any other info? I don't have an external monitor by itself or do you mean there is a way to connect the laptop to the desktop computer and access the data using the dsktop screen? Are the USB enclosur boxes pricey?
You are a life saver!
So I did a little search for the USB enclosure box. would this work and how would I be able to get the data from hard drive to the USB? is it simply placed in? I t doesn't say converter so , and not much details there although the comments talked about drive size and I'm not even sure what mine is for E1505 http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B002JQNXZC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330125346&sr=8-3

Thank you i didn't even know this was an option.
Feb 24, 2012 at 05:29 PM
You should be able to disconnect a VGA monitor from a desktop computer and plug it into the Dell. You can then activate the VGA port by pressing Fn + F8 (it might be marked CRT/LCD) after the computer has booted. You might need to change the resolution since your Dell is a Widescreen model (1680x1050) . It works best if the external monitor was also a wide screen model. You will need a VGA cable and not a DVI cable for the monitor.

A USB laptop drive adapter costs around $20.
From the very small knowledge I have of this, Ionce had to put my ethernet cable from laptop to computer. is it similar to that? just the plug from the desktop (Vista) to the back of a port on the dell? yes the laptop is more wide screen.
this should allow the laptop to load up on the desktop? what does the VGA cable look like. is it on the desktop screen's back? processor?

is the listing on amazon useful at all? Thank you I feel so inept.