One drive is not accessible after formating C

Closed
sohil - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Hello,

I have formatted my laptop. I have 4 drives: C, D, E, F. After formatting i am not been able to access D drive. Instead E and F drives are displayed as D and E and in total only 3 drives are accessible. In disk management the lost partition is displayed as system, primary, active partition but not able to see it in My Computer. Please help me to recover the partition.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I don't understand your use of "format". You format hard drives you don't format computers. Did you in fact "install" an Operating System (Windows) or did you just format the C partition on your hard drive?

I also doubt you have 4 "drives" in your laptop. You probably had 4 "partitions" on the one hard drive or you have two hard drives with 2 partitions on each drive.

When you installed ("formated") Windows you probably selected an option that formatted drive 0 (the one that had partitions C and D) into one new partition ("C"). Hence, you lost partition D. Windows then renamed the old partitions E and F as D and E. You data on the old partition might be recoverable with a utility such as "Partition Magic".

Good Luck