Regarding the internet access

Closed
kk - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Apr 4, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Hello,
My husband and I live out in the country. We do have neighbors with different accesses to the internet.
All we have right now is data access with our smartphones. We really miss using our desktop and laptop.
We were trying to figure out how to get internet access to the desktop and laptop without paying another internet provider for their service. Alot of people out here use centurylink. Pretty sure there is not any cable here....think they run mostly through phone lines and cell phone carriers. We also don't want to tether from the data on our Verizon phones because they normally don't want people doing that.
Would a wireless PC card and wireless router work to get connected? Not sure if this is even a valid question?
Thanks, Karen
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 4, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Forget the FREE part. Figure on $50 to $75 a month for access thru Centurylink. I assume they use DSL to get you a signal. It will probably be much slower than what access you had in the city.

I don't quite understand your reference to "wireless". Do you mean wireless as in "cell phone" or wireless as in "wi-fi local area network" ?

The only wi-fi network you might have access to is an unsecured network from one of your neighbors. I assume you don't want to steal form them.

It's possible to get a wi-fi "hot-spot" from Verizon. It will act as a router and wi-fi access point for all wi-fi devices in your house. But, it probably costs well over $100 a month and you wouldn't want to download movies because of data download limits.

Good Luck