Computer working fine but no image on monitor

Closed
TonyIsh - Apr 11, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 12, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Hello,

I have a Dell 3000 desk top computer. The computer boots up and shows a screen for 2 or 3 secs. It works fine behind the screen when I press the monitor on and off button and responds to moving the cursor blind. I can get on line and open files etc. But I am having to use the three second window to move around, including logging on and off. I have checked all the connections. I believe the original problem arose because I pressed the wrong buttons in a hurry. Is there some way the I can check if my monitor is gone before I buy a new one please? Would a new monitor not work because the problem is to do witeh computer commands please? The mouse is working as are the commands from the keyboard. Thanks in anticipation.

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 11, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Dear TonyIsh,

I have a problem similar to your some 3 years ago. Pressing any button or buttons would deprive you of your screen

The only way to put your finger on the problem is to connect your CPU to another monitor to see if your get a picture. If you do get your normal screen then you have a graphic card problem.
Thank you for your reply. I will see if I can get hold of a friend,s monitor, assuming it is compatible with my processor. Assuming it is a graphic card problem that mean s having my CPU overhauled, at which point I might think that buying a replacement might be the only viable option. Again, thanks very much.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 12, 2012 at 03:38 PM
The replacement of a graphic card does not need a cpu overhaul unless the card is soldered on. If you were satisfied with your CPU, compare prices.

Regards