My Computer won't boot

Closed
Korro Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 23, 2012 - May 2, 2012 at 02:51 PM
Korro Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 23, 2012 - May 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Hello,
My neighbor brought her computer over so that I could check out if it was working out properly. Before she brought it over, it would power up without any problems and boot into the operating system (Windows XP). When I plugged it into the power supply it initially booted up but I had to turn it off abruptly (before WIndows loaded) since someone needed to take something beneath the computer table. When I tried to power it up again it wouldn't boot up. Now when I try to turn on the computer, the cd rom drive light gets turned on but it seems the monitor can't read anything from the hard drive and the monitor becomes blank. I tried going into the bios but the monitor can't read from the bios either. I think I may have a problem with my motherboard but I'm not sure. I desperately need help since the cost of fixing this computer will ultimately rest on my shoulders since the computer malfunctioned at my place. Can someone please advice me on how I can troubleshoot this problem and ultimately fix it. Please help! I also forgot to mention that when I opened the the system box cover I found that the hard drive had not been inserted into it's position and it was just hanging loosely and one of the screws that keeps the hard drive in place was lying inside the box cover. I'm in desperation please help.
Related:

4 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 2, 2012 at 03:22 PM
Hello,
Are you able to get the initial screen which shows your computer brand name after turning ON your computer?
Good Luck
Korro Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 23, 2012
May 2, 2012 at 03:52 PM
No. I don't think that the computer is from a known manufacturer such as Dell, HP, Toshiba or any of the other brand names. I think it's one of those computers that are assembled by buying parts and then selling to customers. So to answer your question it doesn't show the computer brand name.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 2, 2012 at 03:55 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

Open your CPU Cabinet --> Remove all the dust, also from the CPU cooling FAN

--> Remove the RAM from the slot, clean it and place it back properly or try

another slot.

If you are using Graphic Card then remove it and place it back properly.

Good Luck
Korro Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 23, 2012
May 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Hi jack4rall, I followed your instructions but I haven't been able to fix the computer yet. I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew so I've just decided to find a technician to diagnose the problem and hopefully fix it at a reasonable price. I'll try to watch as he fixes it so that I'll be able to get the knowledge should a computer malfunction again as this one has. I think that the problem could be a damaged or corrupted motherboard. Anyhow I just want to thank you for your help and I hope that the next time that I ask for help in this forum you won't get tired of my desperate pleas for help. Bye!